Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Decade Later
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my ASUS Strix 3080 all of 3 days before I noticed an unusual fan noise. I checked all of my case fans and realised it was the video card. Using GPU Tweak II I discovered the fans were emitting a rattling sound at certain speeds, and only at these speeds. Normally I would go down the RMA route but the delays are significant and I already waited 5 months for this card. Plus I'm in the EU and bought the card from the UK pre-brexit so customs fees make RMAs fairly pricey.

A quick search on ASUS forums revealed it's a fairly widespread issue with both the RTX 3080 and 3090 affected due to sharing the same cooler design. After reading a few posts I discovered someone was applying a fix of pushing a small piece of plastic or wood between the fan assembly and heatsink fins. I didn't really fancy the idea of a small piece of plastic or wood coming loose in future and shattering the fan blades.

At first glance it was not a shroud issue. The fans have plenty of clearance and never come close to the shroud. I figured it's either unbalanced fans or a loose cable. My card was getting a rattling sound at 63%, 65%, 71%, 75%, and 78%. Which also coincides with the default fan curve at stock speeds, so it was really annoying with out of box settings.

So let's investigate the issue, find a solution, and share it.

Disassembling the 3080.. it was a pretty nerve-wrecking experience only due to the fact that if I messed up, another card is several months or a scalpers price away.

FYI - The 'GEFORCE RTX' badge is easily removed, doesn't compromise rigidity, just needs two blanks for the screw holes really.

Managed to get it apart to just the heatsink and fan assembly. Immediately discovered two issues, which given the price of this card and who manufactured it.. didn't give me much faith with the Strix models going forward. This isn't my first Strix either but may be my last.

The tape holding down one of the two fan connectors was loose and brushing against the right fan. The second issue was that all 4 screws holding each fan in place (12 screws total) were all loose. Loose to the point where each fan was able to wiggle in place. They each accepted about 2-3 quarter turns until tight.

Re-pasted and re-assembled the card. Everything works, the fans no longer rattle at any percentage. Didn't need to apply any silly fixes and it runs as designed now. As a bonus the card runs a bit cooler too as the factory paste was fine for coverage but a little dry. Hopefully this helps others who may be experiencing the same issue.

Bonus PCB shot. Really pretty card, definitely worthy of a shunt mod in future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great write up there, with very clear photos. I agree with your sentiments, that such a premium line card should absolutely be manufactured with perfection. Quality control in this day is a joke on any consumer products, let alone an expensive GPU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great write up there, with very clear photos. I agree with your sentiments, that such a premium line card should absolutely be manufactured with perfection. Quality control in this day is a joke on any consumer products, let alone an expensive GPU.
Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fan side.
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fans screws and tape.
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fan side.
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fans screws and tape.
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise :)
@Brhume
I managed to open it.
You still need to remove the backplate.
Then you can see some screws from 'bottom' to top holding the top casing.

The screws on top are misleading and have no function.

And in my case the screws holding the fans also had room to tighten them for another 2 cycles at least. Fingers cross that this issue is resolved now for me (since it didn't always happen)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts