Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any ideas before I start totally changing my loop, I managed to pick up a O11 xl for a good price and swapped all my kit from my O11 WGX, I’m using 2 Black ice GTS360 1 normal and 1 XFlow, bottom is intake top is exhaust with a 120mm fan at the rear also exhausting I’m using a bay res with a D5 pump , my Liquid temps are 45c after an hour of gaming, the ambient in my room currently is 25c, I know glass cases are poor for airflow and got a grill for my WGX
Can anyone see any where I have gone wrong before I start tearing it apart and replacing the parts
Handwriting Publication Font Book Paper product
Purple Light Lighting Pink Violet

·
Not New to Overclock.net
5,373 Posts
err take a pic without the side dude.

anyway this is the typical issue of heatdump from one rad affecting the other rad.

u could try go all positive airflow on both rads..or all go out negative. (rams, vrm will be affected though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You have only warm radiator air feeding the top rad that is exhausting - makes that rad useless, pretty much. You'd probably see similar temps with just 1 rad in the loop right now.

Make top rad intake as well, with rear fan exhaust. I would suggest installing fans on the side panel as fresh intake so you have cool air moving through the case, not just warm rad air. Run the non-rad fans at a nice low RPM so they don't overpower the rad fans (that are going to have a harder time moving air due to pressure) and should be good.

I run a similar setup in my 011 XL. 2x Heatkiller rads at top and bottom as intake with Noctua A12x25, and 3x Noctua A12x25 on the side panel as intake. Rear fan is set to exhaust. Works great.

·
Iconoclast
31,435 Posts
If practical, get rid of the distributor plate, add exhaust fans where it was, and make both of your radiators intakes.

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
Another O11 heat issue thread.

1. Add 3 fans behind your distro to intake
2. Swap all other fans except rear exhaust to intake.
3. Remove ALL PCI-e cover brackets.

That case is starving for cold air, I own your model and the mesh filters are HIGHLY restrictive. Before you make the above changes, remove ALL panels and tell us what your temps are like.

Is your D5 running @100%?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another O11 heat issue thread.

1. Add 3 fans behind your distro to intake
2. Swap all other fans except rear exhaust to intake.
3. Remove ALL PCI-e cover brackets.

That case is starving for cold air, I own your model and the mesh filters are HIGHLY restrictive. Before you make the above changes, remove ALL panels and tell us what your temps are like.

Is your D5 running @100%?
Yeah it’s definitely an airflow issue, I have set my lian Li unifans to max and that has brought the water temp down to 40c and the RAM down to 45c (from 49c), yep my D5 is at 100%
might look at getting normal pump res combo

• Rep+
Reactions: cstkl1

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
Yeah it’s definitely an airflow issue, I have set my lian Li unifans to max and that has brought the water temp down to 40c and the RAM down to 45c (from 49c), yep my D5 is at 100%
might look at getting normal pump res combo
Is your 40c temp at idle or full load in your 25c ambient room? If I ever saw coolant temps at 40c even with full load in a room that was 25c, I would be losing my ****. This has nothing to do with the pump/res combo you have chosen. I have run the PLT 240 and have had no issues. check sig rig pic.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
5,373 Posts
You have only warm radiator air feeding the top rad that is exhausting - makes that rad useless, pretty much. You'd probably see similar temps with just 1 rad in the loop right now.

Make top rad intake as well, with rear fan exhaust. I would suggest installing fans on the side panel as fresh intake so you have cool air moving through the case, not just warm rad air. Run the non-rad fans at a nice low RPM so they don't overpower the rad fans (that are going to have a harder time moving air due to pressure) and should be good.

I run a similar setup in my 011 XL. 2x Heatkiller rads at top and bottom as intake with Noctua A12x25, and 3x Noctua A12x25 on the side panel as intake. Rear fan is set to exhaust. Works great.
yeag even helios gx601 with aio and rtx cards ppl are having issues cause they generally put their aio exhausting

what happens is all the heat from the gpu hits the aio..

positive airflow or full on negative is better. best is chambered dual loop.

o11xl dual loop are even worse if they do rad bottom ( gpu) intake and rad top (exhaust) compared to a single loop two rads. the single two rads will split the gpu heat

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your 40c temp at idle or full load in your 25c ambient room? If I ever saw coolant temps at 40c even with full load in a room that was 25c, I would be losing my ****. This has nothing to do with the pump/res combo you have chosen. I have run the PLT 240 and have had no issues. check sig rig pic.
whats ure water delta from idle and whats your room temp??
My idle is 28-30c, my room temperature yesterday when I was testing was 25.3c

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
My idle is 28-30c, my room temperature yesterday when I was testing was 25.3c
Ok, that is inline with what I would expect. What capacity are your fans running at when you are seeing 40c loop temps at full load?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, that is inline with what I would expect. What capacity are your fans running at when you are seeing 40c loop temps at full load?
I have lian Li unifans on my rads both now intake and I’m running them at 1400rpm(75%), and I have 3 EK Varders exhausting and they are running at 1400rpm(75%).
when I removed the filters I got a 2c drop

·
Rig Advisor
3,631 Posts
So 38c max on load with a 5950x w/ PBO and a 3080, not the worst. Keep tweaking, not twerking.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would go top and bottom both intake. And then just take off the rear fan unless you want it running fast all the time. I tried basically everything with my xl. With the top exhaust you are basically running air through it that is the same temp as your coolant so it will do little do help. If you have top as intake it will have a much better temp gradient to cool better.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Problem is the case has almost 0 ventillation . Look those small "line" cutouts on top and bottom ,they are open like 30% and the rest is metal.And you make it even worse adding a radiator and using dustfilter on them . Normal hexagonal mesh panels are around 85% open .Even with filter 75% open. I bet ur top panel is hot to touch.
Yo can't make it cooler sadly ,only if u cut the panels open where u have the radiators . And yes the rads should flow air to same direction, all intake or all exhaust , but the distroplate prevents to use case fans to help the rads .
You can only improve a little bit without cutting the case , but thats not ideal ( negative pressure /dust ) : Both radiator exhaust , remove restrictive dustfilters from top/bottom. Rear fan intake / remove all PCI slot covers , and maybe add a 120mm intake fan there with cable ties or whatever

·
Registered
277 Posts
Problem is the case has almost 0 ventillation . Look those small "line" cutouts on top and bottom ,they are open like 30% and the rest is metal.And you make it even worse adding a radiator and using dustfilter on them . Normal hexagonal mesh panels are around 85% open .Even with filter 75% open. I bet ur top panel is hot to touch.
Yo can't make it cooler sadly ,only if u cut the panels open where u have the radiators . And yes the rads should flow air to same direction, all intake or all exhaust , but the distroplate prevents to use case fans to help the rads .
You can only improve a little bit without cutting the case , but thats not ideal ( negative pressure /dust ) : Both radiator exhaust , remove restrictive dustfilters from top/bottom. Rear fan intake / remove all PCI slot covers , and maybe add a 120mm intake fan there with cable ties or whatever
I have my Xl with triple 360 radiators top bottom and side. I have no fan on the rear. With a temp sensor on each radiator intake I can see that I am getting a great gradient between coolant and ambient temp. Air flows freely out the top of the rear and the pcie grills as its needed. Temps are great! Top is not hot to touch. I did add a small 80mm or so fan to the top grill on the side compartment behind the motherboard. It gets hot back there so adding that really reduced my side radiator intake temps.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
5,373 Posts
its the problem of airflow because if gpu efficiency in dumping heat. the current rtx3080/3090 all half hp AC heat dump.

the problem happens on aio ontop exhausting with gpu on air. all these you-tuber idiots are stupid.
the gpu heats up the aio , everything inside .. cpu temps fly. vrm, ram, pch, nvme

solution is to go crazy with EVERYTHING intake and back exhaust

wc makes it worse

so wc on these kind of mid cases with so messed up with ure efficiently removing the gpu heat

so @Henry Owens has the right idea.

this is y o11 evo btx with dual loop will solve this. cause then we can have cpu below with cpu rad intake, gpu rad top exhaust. like a sane rig

i am testing o11 xl dual top intake, gpu loop exhaust..

for me i can avoid the heat reflect from gpu exhaust because of my unique table. so will test on normal vs both intake. also since dual loop i have better control on gpu rad exhaust, flowrate etc.

thats the idea atm.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If practical, get rid of the distributor plate, add exhaust fans where it was, and make both of your radiators intakes.
Or go with a front panel distributor plate and like you said, make use of the side fans.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts