Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a s478 P4 3gz running at 3.71 ghz now, and its table as a rock and its been at this speed for about a month or so... so today i decided to try and push it futher, when i get past 3.8 it doesnt get past 30 seconds of prime95,it just says that prime has encountered an error and has to shut down blaa blaa blaa.... im running 248fsb,1:1 ratio,[email protected],1.41 vcore,and 58c load... could this be my temps or is this just the max you guys think this old puppy can go?
suggestions please...

thanks -=pbasil1=-

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
try underclocking your RAM

Edit: More than likely you can break 4 gig--but your ram will not be happy more than 12% over it's rated speed--in BIOS set the ram to be recognized as if it were slower than 3200--that way when you push the FSB the RAM will stay inside it's range. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did, i ran a 5:4 divider and did nothing, i even cranked my vcore up to 1.53! didnt help any...

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
To get any higher you might need to perform some volt mods to get things more stable. It could be your northbridge holding you back. Malves corner would be the place to look...
I tried to connect to malves corner and got a dead link
Maybe someone here has the redirect to a new site?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist

To get any higher you might need to perform some volt mods to get things more stable. It could be your northbridge holding you back. Malves corner would be the place to look...
I tried to connect to malves corner and got a dead link
Maybe someone here has the redirect to a new site?

so where do i go to learn how to do a good volt mod?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i sent him an email asking for some info on it if he had any, but do you have any other suggestions for breaking 3.7 ghz??? please? anything!!!

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no other suggestions??? please i wanna break 4ghz... but im thinking thats never gonna happen!

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok ive got it up to 3.74... lol not really any improvement, but if i go past 250 fsb it becomes unstable in prime 95

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

ok ive got it up to 3.74... lol not really any improvement, but if i go past 250 fsb it becomes unstable in prime 95

CPU temps are what load? And what are your Mosfet temps (idle + load)

With that board and a prescott, your probably running into vcore droop.. Common with running High FSB's with prescotts on Springdale chipsets. I agree with spooky, your probably going to need some volt mods..

My last guess would be cranking up the AGP voltage.. Somewhere in the 1.6-1.65v range.. (1.6v 1st and then 1.65v second) and see if that works.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a Precott 3.0 on an Asus mobo up to 3.9 stable. When I was runninng PC 3200 the best I could get was about 3.6 @ 1:1 or with a divider. I purchased PC4000 and it immediatley went 3.9 with no other changes @1:1. I personally think it is your memory holding you back. Many people have a 3.0 running 3.9 and a few have it at 4.0. By the way the rig in my signature is the one that I have @3.9 it is nothing special air cooled and all but it did OC nice. You already are doing well with 3.7 but I think you can go further.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so how do i check my mosfet temps? and i have upped my vcore to over 1.53 volts and doesnt help... i run ~56-58c load,and why would upping my agp voltage help?... also running a 5:4 diveder doesnt help....

thanks for your responses so far guys!

cpuz and speed fan...

grrrrrrr i give up....

i also posted a pic of my bios...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
With the Prescott on 478 and air you have already made a fair overclock. I don't know anyone who has made 4.0 with P4E and 478 on air.

It's possible though I guess. I've just never seen it. It took me to 6xx series on air and 775 to make 4GHz+.

R

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya i understand this.... but it just seems like it wants to go further but something is holding it back....

I WANT/NEED 4GHZ!!!

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
any other suggestions... please

bios settings, something holding me back? ideas... please!

thanks so far guys!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts