Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gys, so my 2TB which i use for gaming related things is getting full. I wish to buy myself a 4TB HDD. People have been recommending me to get the HGST NAS 4TB drive but aren't they really designed for network access storage and not desktop use?

The other 2 people seem to say are the Toshiba MD04ACA400 4TB and of course the WD black

This HDD will be used for storing and playing my games from steam origin etc and maybe some recordings as well.

As i wish to move everything from the 2TB HDD. Would copying everything and renaming the new drive to the old ones letter (eg Old drive is F:\ rename to something else and rename new drive to F:\ )work? Or should i use cloning software?

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFoley View Post

Hey gys, so my 2TB which i use for gaming related things is getting full. I wish to buy myself a 4TB HDD. People have been recommending me to get the HGST NAS 4TB drive but aren't they really designed for network access storage and not desktop use?

The other 2 people seem to say are the Toshiba MD04ACA400 4TB and of course the WD black

This HDD will be used for storing and playing my games from steam origin etc and maybe some recordings as well.

As i wish to move everything from the 2TB HDD. Would copying everything and renaming the new drive to the old ones letter (eg Old drive is F:\ rename to something else and rename new drive to F:\ )work? Or should i use cloning software?
I suggest using cloning software. I've had excellent results using Macrium Reflect. Macrium Reflect Free.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
If you're not running a NAS, a WD Black would be a good choice. I have a 4TB Black in my desktop machine that is about a year and a half old and it is still running strong. The two 2TB Blacks in the same machine are over three years old and are also running strong. All three run 24/7.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

If you're not running a NAS, a WD Black would be a good choice. I have a 4TB Black in my desktop machine that is about a year and a half old and it is still running strong. The two 2TB Blacks in the same machine are over three years old and are also running strong. All three run 24/7.
Hmm thing is here they are 300+ dollars, i've also heard people sometimes get clicking noises from these drives. Have you ever had this issue?

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm thing is here they are 300+ dollars, i've also heard people sometimes get clicking noises from these drives. Have you ever had this issue?
WD Blacks are noisier than other drives, for example Blues (the 7200rpm too). However, their performance makes up for the added noise.
In case that this noise is not what the "click" in your context describes, that might as well be a sign of a failing drive. In this case it is not exclusive to Western Digital drivers, let alone Black.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. I've never had a problem with a Black. I forgot to mention I also have three 500GB 2.5" Blacks but they don't get a lot of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Quote:

Quote:

WD Blacks are noisier than other drives, for example Blues (the 7200rpm too). However, their performance makes up for the added noise.
In case that this noise is not what the "click" in your context describes, that might as well be a sign of a failing drive. In this case it is not exclusive to Western Digital drivers, let alone Black.
I've seen many people post this but my Blacks never make noise I can hear unless they are in an external dock and I put my ear right by them (and, other than normal high frequency hearing loss due to old age, my hearing is just fine); then, I can barely hear a gentle hum. I suspect the reason my drives don't make noise in my desktop machine is they are mounted solidly in a cage instead of in a tray that can rattle.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:

*snip*
I've seen many people post this but my Blacks never make noise I can hear unless they are in an external dock and I put my ear right by them (and, other than normal high frequency hearing loss due to old age, my hearing is just fine); then, I can barely hear a gentle hum. I suspect the reason my drives don't make noise in my desktop machine is they are mounted solidly in a cage instead of in a tray that can rattle.
It depends on many things, among which are the ambient noise levels and frequencies and the PC case insulation. I can't hear them as well, but then I run 12 2200RPM fans at almost always over 50% speed.
Put two drives, one of which a noisy model, on a foam bed outside of a computer and in a relatively quiet environment and stress them. You should be able to notice it.

That is to say that these drives are not super noisy, they have a subtle to the ear sound characteristic too, but they can still be heard under operation, especially in a semi-passive or otherwise quiet system. Rattling aside as well.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Quote:

*snip*
It depends on many things, among which are the ambient noise levels and frequencies and the PC case insulation. I can't hear them as well, but then I run 12 2200RPM fans at almost always over 50% speed.
Put two drives, one of which a noisy model, on a foam bed outside of a computer and in a relatively quiet environment and stress them. You should be able to notice it.

That is to say that these drives are not super noisy, they have a subtle to the ear sound characteristic too, but they can still be heard under operation, especially in a semi-passive or otherwise quiet system. Rattling aside as well.
I do have sound deadening in my computer but if I remove the side panels in the wee hours of the morning when the AC is off and there is no noise from outside like there is during the day, all I can hear from computer is the gentle swoosh of air from my fans pulling air through the filters. I can just hear that from where I sit at my desk three feet away from the computer but from four or five feet away, I can't even hear the fans. I never hear the three HDDs in my computer, even if I am right next to it and the side panels are off.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @MajorFoley!

When it comes to a hard disk selection it's best to go with an HDD that is specifically designed for the purpose you're looking for, in this case gaming. NAS drives are good and you can use them if you want for this as well, but they have specific firmware for NAS usage. For instance, they have a specific build-in feature called TLER, which stops the hard drive from entering into a deep recovery cycle. For instance, a desktop drive will try, try and try again to get your data back if a sector's not reading properly and this will result in timeouts, etc. A NAS not be dropped from a RAID array since it will enter in deep recovery cycle to attempt to repair the error, recover the data from the problematic area, and then reallocate a dedicated area to replace the problematic area.

So from the drives you've mentioned I'd suggest WD Black since it's meant for gaming and has good features such as a built-in dual-core CPU that makes the drive great for multitasking. It is designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage.

As for copying everything to the new HDD, you can simply clone it. For a specific program, I've used and can recommend Acronis True Image WD Edition which you can download and use as long as the HDD is WD. Here's a link to download it if you want:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=oXrmIS

Also, you can follow the steps described here to complete the process:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=n2Wjx7

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
smile.gif

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

For cloning, I've had excellent luck with Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect Free
Is there a way when cloning to make it add the entire partition with the HDD instead of having to extend it later? Funnily enough i still havent decided between Toshiba and WD black now lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts