Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can boot just fine at 194FSB. However, when hitting the 195FSB mark my PC will do one of the following:
1. It simply won't POST
2. It will boot and immediately reboot at POST screen.
3. If I completely shut down the PC for a few mins, then sometimes I am able to boot afterwards. Unfortunately, on the next reboot my system won't POST again.

My temps are great(33c idle, 45c full load at 190FSB). I thought maybe it was my crappy PSU that died last week. So today I got myself an Enermax Liberty 400W to make sure things will work just fine. No difference whatsoever - I'm still stuck on 195FSB.

I tried all the obvious - Memories are set to 1:1, so they aren't limiting me. I even tried using only one stick of RAM on different DIMM slots. PCIE is set to 100. I also tried raising it up to 115, or even setting it to auto - nothing.
I tried giving more voltage to FSB, PCIE, and of course - Vcore. Nada.

I'm really not sure what else I can try, so I came here asking for some assistance.

With Regards,
Guy.

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
where is your ram in this? what about your CPU voltage, did you raise it up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I raised vcore by quite a lot.

I went from 1.4v to 1.55v. Since it didn't help a bit I figured out it's not a vcore issue.

I did try raising vdimm too. But what would that have to do with my issue? the RAM is only working on 380mhz, while it's actually capable of almost 2x of that speed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My ram is running at 390Mhz(effective. 195MHz real). It's on 2x multiplier. That's almost half of it's stock speed.

·

29,532 Posts
What is the stock FSB?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
133 is the stock FSB.

EDIT: It seems that booting into 194FSB isn't possible either. I also get sudden reboots.
So I raised vcore to 1.5v. Didn't work. I then disabled Thermal monitoring(TM2) and now windows boots up just fine. It seems like I'm stable at 194FSB.

The wird thing is that I'm trying to test stability with dual prime95. I'm not having any problems, but it seems like one of the two tests is extremely lagging behind. Why's that? is that a sign of a lack of vcore??

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
no, but it is a sign of instability. It's not just serious enough to throw a blue screen or shut down the computer. I had a similar issue with a 940 in systool, one core would lag about 5s behind the other. Would be ok for a while, then after a couple hours when things got good and toasty it would reboot.

How long have you run prime? I bet if you try for 8-12hrs you'll get a reboot. Things I've noticed about the 805, once you get past 190FSB they get real quirky. The one I have in my media rig is 100% stable at 190FSB, at 191-193 it's stable enough to bench but can't dual prime. At 194 it will boot to windows and run 1m SuperPi but can't complete 3dmark. At 195, it will sporadically POST. At 196 it will boot to windows fine, it will run 3dmark fine, it will dual prime for about an hour, but as soon as you try and use a USB device (keyboard in this case) it reboots. Beyond 196 it won't even POST.

Worst part about it, the celeron D 356 rig I built at the same time with the same video card and identical ram, benches higher than the 805......

Results

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How frustrating. We have similar issues.

It seems that the reason is lack of Vcore. However, I already set the max in bios(1.6v). The problem is that my Motherboard causes a severe vdroop. So infact, 1.6v is 1.4-1.5v. That's not enough for hitting the 4Ghz mark.

Is there a way to fix vdroop? or is there a way to give more voltage to the CPU despite reaching the motherboard's maximum?

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I think the motherboard has hit an FSB wall...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These motherboards are designed for 200 FSB. I haven't even reached that yet so I doubt I've hit a wall.

Like I said the problem is Vcore. Setting it higher improves things but I'm still not stable(need a shutdown before I can boot to windows).

I wonder if there's anything that can be done.
Maybe a program(even though I hate the thought of overclocking through a program) can allow me to add more vcore?

Or is there a mod or something that will allow me to add more vcore to the cpu? or reduce the damage made by vdroop?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
t board, I'd check over at XS, they have an entire sectionm for volt modding. If there isn't one specificaly for your board I'm sure there is one that is close. WOrst case just make a post and see if anyone could figure one out for you.

Other option is to boot into windows at ~190FSB and use clockgen to go to 200. You'll have to do it at every restart but you may be able to push past 200FSB that way too. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't get it!

Using EasyTune5 I can easily reach 4.05Ghz(202FSB). Anything above that will go back to 4.05ghz so I guess this is the max.

First of all I'm happy to finally break the 4ghz barrier! However, what is causing the problem here? It seems like windows has no problem handling 200+ FSB overclock, but the BIOS does give me problems since 194FSB.

So like I said before - If I allow my PC to 'rest'(shuting it down for 1-2 mins or so), I can boot with 195FSB but that's about it. After the next restart my PC wouldn't POST. With easytunes I can get to 202FSB with no problems at all.

Why is my BIOS so limiting?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts