Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my niece is comissioning me to build a PC for her. She is currently going to a local state college. What can she do to see if she is elligible to get discounted software? If so, how much does it usually go for? Is it through the school itself or through MS?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

OK, my niece is comissioning me to build a PC for her. She is currently going to a local state college. What can she do to see if she is elligible to get discounted software? If so, how much does it usually go for? Is it through the school itself or through MS?

could have gotten windows 7 home edition for 29.99 through MS if she would have done it earlier this year with a college email. Unsure on if they are still doing it though as the offer expires in jan for people who did do it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
the only ones i ever saw for student discount was the windows 7 home upgrade version and not the full clean install version. i was going to buy through my gf who is a student. i didnt want just upgrade so i went and bought ultimate instead.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
ring up the college's IT dept or the college's IT page. Depending on the major some programs, like OSs, can be completely free for 1 full license.

mine pointed me to their purchasing website (had to authenticate using college userID and PW before loading page).

Last check Win7 32-/64-bit pro or ult was ~$40 for my college.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan
View Post

the only ones i ever saw for student discount was the upgrade version and not the full clean install version. i was going to buy through my gf who is a student. i didnt want just upgrade so i went and bought ultimate instead.

if you get that version.. you simply download it and burn it to disc in iso format and it works just like a full install. Tested by many members on caraudio.com where I originally got the link.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As long as she can provide a valid email with a .edu suffix, this website, should allow you to obtain a copy of either Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional for ~$29.99 (You also get to choose either a 32-bit or 64-bit version). Although, it's technically only an upgrade version. However, you can download some files, burn them to a disc and perform a registry tweak to get the key to work as though it were an original retail disc. Do a little bit of googling for, "Burning Windows 7 Student Edition," (Or something along those lines).

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
that upgrade disc can clean install.

once I got the disc in I modified ei.cfg to "One Disc" it since I'm already working with home and pro, with ult expected in the future as well.

and last I checked the Student $30 thing goes til sometime in January

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestorm252
View Post

that upgrade disc can clean install.

once I got the disc in I modified ei.cfg to "One Disc" it since I'm already working with home and pro, with ult expected in the future as well.

and last I checked the Student $30 thing goes til sometime in January

why I said I was unsure, thought I read that though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
someone give me their college e-mail address so i can get this please =)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
before just looking for the upgrade, go to the Microsoft MSDNAA website here

Do a search to see if your niece's school is regitered. If it is, she can get a copy of WIN7 Pro for free. She just needs to send an E-mail to the school's IT contact (which will be shown on the page if the school is regitered). The IT contact will submit her name to Microsoft, and she will get a username and password for the Microsoft website. That's what I did. Took two days. Got Win7 Pro Full Version .iso, downloaded in less than a half hour.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Phone her school's IT department before anything else. If they have a MSDNAA program she can get Win7 Pro OEM for free.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
yea if you get ahold of the comp sci building on campus or just go to the schools webpage and search for software, or go up to the admin building in school and ask them about buying software im sure they have it. here at texas a&m i got mine for 15 dollars through the school i also konw the community college sells software i think that is about 30 dollars though. win 7 Ultimate edition. but it was just the upgrade. but if you get the upgrade you can easily get around not having to actually upgrade it from a different OS.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by btwalter View Post
heh, I have a college email address, went to the site, typed it in so I could get the download link... no email ever came through.
Check your spam folder.

It only works once per email account, but they don't seem to mind if you use the same billing information multiple times. ;-)

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
the only ones i ever saw for student discount was the windows 7 home upgrade version and not the full clean install version. i was going to buy through my gf who is a student. i didnt want just upgrade so i went and bought ultimate instead.
Actually it gives you the option to upgrade or do a clean install.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
if you do a clean install off an upgrade disk, you need to install again, and then enter the key (dont enter the key the first time)

try www.theultimatesteal.com

·
Registered
891 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts