Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:

In an exclusive interview we at StuffWeLike.com have had official confirmation that there will be a Half Life 3.We are not talking about Half Life 2: Episode 3 but a Half Life title after that one.

Our confirmation comes after taking with Doug Lombardi the guy responsible for all those PR pieces you have seen and read recently about Half Life 2: Episode 2. While discussing the game mechanics that run the Orange Box Portal game the topics of future games came up. These interview pieces are below and we do have permission from Valve to release it to you guys. Even though its not much in terms of details even getting a confirmation that there will be another game is a first!

TS-SWL: With the ending of Episode 2 going directly to help the feeling of “must play Episode 3 now†could you give the current estimated date for Episode 3’s release?

DL: We haven’t announced a date for Ep Three just yet.

TS-SWL: Are there any current plans after Episode 3 to have a Half Life 3?

DL: We haven’t announced anything specific, but Half-Life won’t end at Episode Three â€" hang on to your crowbars!

I think we all came to expect a possible Half-Life 3 (if not titled as HL3, a follow up to the series either way). Looks like we will be getting what we wish for. Great news IMO!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJS View Post
OH SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN YES!

=D

I just beat episode 2 and its sad =[
same here! i beat it a little while ago, but i'm pretty sure a single tear rolled down my face during that ending cutscene. can't wait for aperture in ep3!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Haven't had the chance to play Ep2 yet. I only borrowed a friends account with the orange box for a bit. And Portal took my attention.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
I always assumed they said they planned on doing HL 3 around the release of EP 1, guess not, but this is still good regardless.

Hopefully if it is the final part of the HL games, it will answer everything EP3 does not.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
ofcourse there will be a half life 3! The half life story is too rich and immersive to stop at episode 3. No matter what the conclusion is. (it will draw to a brilliant end, they wouldnt bring us 3 episodes and let us down at the end of it all).

It will probably come out in 2010 or something though. Maybe even later. New source engine/development time (which is always long at valve)

good news to hear they arent stopping after ep3 though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Hopefully if it is the final part of the HL games, it will answer everything EP3 does not.
how do you even know what EP3 doesn't answer? Valve have already said that EP3 will answer alot of questions and bring alot of new things to the half life story. As well as involving aperture science (the lab that you play Portal in). I think EP3 will answer most questions you have right now. It will draw the current battle to an end but it wont end the war I dont think. Half life 3 will advance just like hl2 did after half life.

·
Registered
945 Posts
SWEET LORD NO!!

lol

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to be honest, i really hope Episode 3 either allows for a new story with new characters (of course keeping any oldies that survive Ep3), or allows for multiple paths. like what Op Force and Blue Shift offered, but bundled into one epic game.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
ofcourse there will be a half life 3! The half life story is too rich and immersive to stop at episode 3. No matter what the conclusion is. (it will draw to a brilliant end, they wouldnt bring us 3 episodes and let us down at the end of it all).

It will probably come out in 2010 or something though. Maybe even later. New source engine/development time (which is always long at valve)

good news to hear they arent stopping after ep3 though!

how do you even know what EP3 doesn't answer? Valve have already said that EP3 will answer alot of questions and bring alot of new things to the half life story. As well as involving aperture science (the lab that you play Portal in). I think EP3 will answer most questions you have right now. It will draw the current battle to an end but it wont end the war I dont think. Half life 3 will advance just like hl2 did after half life.
Well like you said, they didnt state that EP 3 will answer all of the questions, just most of them. I just dont want to finish HL3 and not know the answer to everything, I will have to devote my life in the way of the Buddha to find the answers to any remaining questions, and I cant live without my computer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

I always assumed they said they planned on doing HL 3 around the release of EP 1, guess not, but this is still good regardless.

Yeah I agree, I'm sure they've planned this all along, but I think they've found that the public prefer to have full games, and not an episodic style of play, so the next version of half-life will be a full game, rather than episode 4 or however you want to describe it!

Also I think portal was a test to see how popular that style of play will be in the next half-life, I hope so neway, I thought portal was wicked!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Well, not to burst anyones bubble, but Half Life 3 is Half Life 2: Episode #.

More than likely they will keep up with the whole episode thing
, or make games that revovle around the other characters.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
i hope there is a new source engine being developed for this, or at least a significant update to the current one...

DX10 support would be nice. But doing it right would require a new engine from the ground up with DX10 integrated from the beginning....

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Not to burst anyones bubble or anything, but this is pretty old news, Valve said this when Episode 1 was released. The end of the Half Life 2 story arch will end, but Half Life it self will not, and Joblo69, Valve have said they don't plan on making a new engine, unless they run into major problems with Source, when they wrote the Source Engine, they made it very upgradeable. I doubt dx10 will be in Source anytime soon, Mr. Newel has stated that as of right now dx10 is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GANDALFtheGREY
View Post

same here! i beat it a little while ago, but i'm pretty sure a single tear rolled down my face during that ending cutscene. can't wait for aperture in ep3!

Ive got to admit that i felt the same!.

he was such a great character, in fact i think he was one of my favourites in the entire HL2 series.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatSharp
View Post

Also I think portal was a test to see how popular that style of play will be in the next half-life, I hope so neway, I thought portal was wicked!

Portal was originally a university-project taken on by valve and they funded it to be included in the orange box. Gabe Newell (valve) has already stated that itd be too complicated to try and include such aspects as the portal gun in EP3. Although it will involve aperture science it wont necessarily use the same gameplay elements. That would be saved for Portal 2. If you recall, EP3 sends you north to the arctic to prevent the combine from getting their hands on a wrecked ship that has something major to do with aperture science, which could provide them with the technology to defeat the combine. Portal was wicked. But it will turn into a number of sequels. Its a game in its own right even though its tied into the Half Life universe.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes
View Post

Portal was originally a university-project taken on by valve and they funded it to be included in the orange box. Gabe Newell (valve) has already stated that itd be too complicated to try and include such aspects as the portal gun in EP3. Although it will involve aperture science it wont necessarily use the same gameplay elements. That would be saved for Portal 2. If you recall, EP3 sends you north to the arctic to prevent the combine from getting their hands on a wrecked ship that has something major to do with aperture science, which could provide them with the technology to defeat the combine. Portal was wicked. But it will turn into a number of sequels. Its a game in its own right even though its tied into the Half Life universe.

/Possible spoiler alert!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Well, I havent completed the first Half life, but from what I have read, Aperature Science was doing something along the same line that Black Mesa was, which involved of course giant portals that allowed aliens to come to earth, ect ect. The ship has that technology on it, im presuming (due to what Eli said in the end of Ep 2)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.