Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few computer builds under my belt, but I have never watercooled... anyway new job, more $$$$$$ so watercooling inc.

My question is drain related. I have been looking at loads of builds on youtube, and I think every system that I have seen drained has relied on gravity, why does nobody use the pump to dump the water? < my silly question?

Another question while I have you, this is sort of what im going for (sorry for my awful camera)

Just mocked this up as an example, will probably go something more tidy, this setup isnt going in the basement it will be visible inside the case with passthrough to the basement and rad. But would this work. If I put another butterfly valve on the Purple To res just after it goes into the basement, would i be able to close that one - open the drain - turn the pump on and dump the water? Im not all that fussy about getting every bit out, this system will be blue died water and will probably only ever be blue so getting every last drop isnt a big deal?

Thanks for any imput guys
biggrin.gif

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenPC View Post

I have a few computer builds under my belt, but I have never watercooled... anyway new job, more $$$$$$ so watercooling inc.

My question is drain related. I have been looking at loads of builds on youtube, and I think every system that I have seen drained has relied on gravity, why does nobody use the pump to dump the water? < my silly question?

Another question while I have you, this is sort of what im going for (sorry for my awful camera)

Just mocked this up as an example, will probably go something more tidy, this setup isnt going in the basement it will be visible inside the case with passthrough to the basement and rad. But would this work. If I put another butterfly valve on the Purple To res just after it goes into the basement, would i be able to close that one - open the drain - turn the pump on and dump the water? Im not all that fussy about getting every bit out, this system will be blue died water and will probably only ever be blue so getting every last drop isnt a big deal?

biggrin.gif
that can work. just make sure the outlet that you have as marked "to res" runs through your blocks first
wink.gif
ive seen that error made before. that and you may want a second shutoff on the same outlet i just mentioned. to force the water out your drain when you need to drain. if your plumbing that hardcore to your basement. you should plub the drain like into a drain line into your basement aswell.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,191 Posts
Yep, this looks like it will just drain your reservoir.

I generally use portable suction to remove fluid or just pressurize with my datavac blower. Portable suction works best but most people don't have access to the kind that we use in the hospital.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenPC View Post

biggrin.gif
using the pump to drain will make the pump dry and that's a no no to me... only air through a pump is bad to me...

while i don't have a drain filter persay... i drain from my rez

my rad at the top of the case... nex in line is my rez which has being pushed and pulled ....

while am no expert... i do it this way and nothing has jacked it up...

·
Totally Tubular
1,569 Posts
In my opinion, it's better to have the coolant drain slowly rather than have a firehose creating a mess. But if you're careful it would certainly work.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You can use the pump to remove the fluid, but as others have mentioned it can cause a mess. The biggest factor here is that you are going to want to watch the pump closely, as using it to drain the loop means that eventually the pump will run dry (which is not good for it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

that can work. just make sure the outlet that you have as marked "to res" runs through your blocks first
wink.gif
ive seen that error made before. that and you may want a second shutoff on the same outlet i just mentioned. to force the water out your drain when you need to drain. if your plumbing that hardcore to your basement. you should plub the drain like into a drain line into your basement aswell.
Maybe RES stands for rest of loop
tongue.gif
<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

You can use the pump to remove the fluid, but as others have mentioned it can cause a mess. The biggest factor here is that you are going to want to watch the pump closely, as using it to drain the loop means that eventually the pump will run dry (which is not good for it).
surly a length of flexible tube in a bucket, even under the pressure of a D5 is hardly going to cause a mess, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

Yep, this looks like it will just drain your reservoir. (inc the res) just feel like a total fraud having a valve that literally does nothing
tongue.gif

I generally use portable suction to remove fluid or just pressurize with my datavac blower. Portable suction works best but most people don't have access to the kind that we use in the hospital.
Im mostly thinkin about just dumping my res, having a drain in the main chamber is more cosmetic than anything, could get most of the loop empty from the bottom radiator

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

Yep, this looks like it will just drain your reservoir.

small shop vacs also work when stuck over the end of a res. and to most of you naysayers. i used to drain my loop by pumping it empty. you just need a quick hand on your psu power switch

·
Banned
720 Posts
Quote:

small shop vacs also work when stuck over the end of a res. and to most of you naysayers. i used to drain my loop by pumping it empty. you just need a quick hand on your psu power switch
Same here. Run the pump until the loop is nearly empty (don't run the pump dry) and then use a shop vac to get the rest of the fluid out. Works like a champ.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Once the reservoir drains, the pump is just spinning in air. There's no longer any pressure in the system to push the coolant out of your radiators and blocks. It would be easier to make it work on a simple loop, throw on multiple radiators and multiple blocks and it's not really gonna drain into the res that easy.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,191 Posts
Quote:

Yeah shop vac works, often I am changing a component or something and don't want to toss my coolant. We have these nice disposable semi rigid sleeves that go inside our suction containers and they work well for sucking the fluid into, then putting it back into the loop.

If tossing the fluid then shop vac works good.

I have a little 12v power supply with a switch on it that has a molex out. That works for me to run my pumps when getting the air out of loop. If I have a leak at least there is not power to the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts