Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a new system soon, and I'm kinda stuck on what case/cooler to get. I've already decided to get a Thermalright TRUE, but the question is wether I should get the normal version:

Or the copper version:

Now, in order for me to use the copper version -which wheighs in at 2kg, that's gonna be extremely heavy for a vertical mounted mobo- I will have to go with this "case":

This is going to provide better cooling, but the case is going to be a little inpractical. So, should I rather go with this case:

The rig would be cleaner, stylish, and a lot more practical, but the cooling would be a tiny bit worse. What do you guys think?

/Redhead out

·
Just living in a van...
1,441 Posts
The copper will probably oxidize over time and eventually look pretty awful...that coupled with the difference in price and the minimal improvement in performance doesn't make it worth it to me.

Acrylic "cases" look great for the first couple of weeks, but unless you actively take care of them they get dirty quickly. I'd get the stylish black case. Unless of course you're moving hardware in and out on a consistent basis, then a tech station like that would make a certain amount of sense.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

The copper version will indeed cool better, but IIRC True's come with Mobo backplates to stop the motherboard flexing. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's for.

Ya, I know they come with strong backplates, and if you leave the case alone it should be fine. But I like going to LAN praties and bringing my computer to my friends house and game a little bit, and I don't want to take off my cooler every time I wanna do this. Also, I'm on a budget, and the copper cooler is alot more expensive, so to be able to afford it I gotta buy a cheaper case, that's why i thought the vertical one would be perfect, but I can't decide. Thanks for replying, I'll se if I can get some answers on your P180/Xiggy problem xD

EDIT: Thanks technodavan for replying with good info, I would really appreciate more opinions on this. +rep to all replies!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Don't get the copper version. It cools SLIGHTLY better, about 1 or 2 degrees vs the regular true.

Might I suggest the Prolimatech megahalems instead of the true though? It performs better than the true and doesn't need to be modded to achieve optimal performance, while at the same price.

Also, I would get that black case. If your going to lan parties, I would worry about transporting that rack.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new system soon, and I'm kinda stuck on what case/cooler to get. I've already decided to get a Thermalright TRUE, but the question is wether I should get the normal version:

Or the copper version:

Now, in order for me to use the copper version -which wheighs in at 2kg, that's gonna be extremely heavy for a vertical mounted mobo- I will have to go with this "case":

This is going to provide better cooling, but the case is going to be a little inpractical. So, should I rather go with this case:

The rig would be cleaner, stylish, and a lot more practical, but the cooling would be a tiny bit worse. What do you guys think?

/Redhead out
what case is that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutegelo
View Post

me too

Wow, alot of replies since me going to sleep xD The "rack style" case is called bZerk and is only available in Norway as far as I know, and the black one is a Lian Li PC6277
The Prolimatech cooler sounds promising, but I have never heard of it and I don't know if it's available in Norway, anyone got a link on that? Thanks for replying everyone, and that's an epic quote you've got there 88EVGAFTW...

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
OP: Don't get the copper TRUE. If you want better cooling, get the megahalems, which looks better and performs better IMO.

Also, don't get the techstation if you move your rig about often, the components could become damaged.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

OP: Don't get the copper TRUE. If you want better cooling, get the megahalems, which looks better and performs better IMO.

Also, don't get the techstation if you move your rig about often, the components could become damaged.

Yeah, there are some downsides with the tech station... anyways I found the megahalems is available in Norway, but it says it doesn't fit in an AM2/AM3 socket. Is that correct?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimwest View Post
I use an Am2->LGA775 adapter for my Tuniq Tower. It was $2.50US.
Hmmm, do you have any idea where i could get a 775->AM2 adapter for a megahalems? I know it exists but a lot of those parts are hard to get in Norway, unless you order them form USA or England, but that's gonna cost me....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhead
View Post

Hmmm, do you have any idea where i could get a 775->AM2 adapter for a megahalems? I know it exists but a lot of those parts are hard to get in Norway, unless you order them form USA or England, but that's gonna cost me....

The company that makes the part is EnzoTech. Good company, they have resellers in many countries. Here's the official resellers list, Europe in the middle:
http://www.enzotechnology.com/where_to_buy.htm

You'll want either the Type-X or the Type-S AM2.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimwest View Post
The company that makes the part is EnzoTech. Good company, they have resellers in many countries. Here's the official resellers list, Europe in the middle:
http://www.enzotechnology.com/where_to_buy.htm

You'll want either the Type-X or the Type-S AM2.
Thanks!
Found a Norwegian reseller, +rep for you my friend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.