Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The internet connection that my folding rigs and fileservers are on have a dynamic IP address. I own my own domain and wondered if there was a way I could setup a subdomain and have it forward to a webserver on my fileserver and have it update if the IP address was refreshed/changed.

I imagine the answer is no but thaught I would ask anyway

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe you just have to make a child domain and make sure you set up an implicet trust between the two of them. I would think you would want to create static addresses for your servers though or leave them out of whatever sub net you make/but them on.

I believe once your trust is created you can point everything to one DHCP server for your addressing as long as you enter it in as a tell it to look for it. It has been a while since i took my Server 2003 class so i could be way off hehe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tht-kid
View Post

The internet connection that my folding rigs and fileservers are on have a dynamic IP address. I own my own domain and wondered if there was a way I could setup a subdomain and have it forward to a webserver on my fileserver and have it update if the IP address was refreshed/changed.

I imagine the answer is no but thaught I would ask anyway

Depending on who you host thru, if they have the ability for you to add 3rd level hosts, you could just add a host, and set it to forward to whatever IP / Hostname you have your dynamic IP thru.

e.g.

Hosted at myhosting.org

www.myhost.net - dyndns to 4.4.4.1 e.g.
on your hosting account, if they do managed DNS, create
"hostb.myhost.net"

Then, in the forwarding rules, set it to forward to www.myhost.net

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That went streight over my head.
The domain that my current webserver uses is a hosting package offered by Justhost, ive been using my dynamic ip in a browser to check my folding status but my college will not allow this so wanted to say have folding.mydomain.co.uk and have it point to my home connection?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i would need to check in my cpanel and have it point to my IP address and presumably contact my ISP and have a static connection setup?

Edit- sorry for double post - My Bad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So you should be able to go your hosting panel, and create a 3rd level host.

A 3rd level host is the host before the first "dot".

TLD = Top Level Domain - .net / .com / .org
2nd LD = the domain name =microsoft.com
3rd level = the host www / ftp / myhost.x.y

etc.

So once you create the 3rd level host, you can just set it up to immediately fwd: to another domain (e.g. foldingstats.folding.org) or whatever.

I have this similar setup. Except I have several TLDs all with the same domain name.
e.g. www.myhost.net, ftp.myhost.net, docs.myhost.net

These all resolve to the same IP, since they live behind the same Firewall. I just forward the correct "service" to the correct box.

primary IP = 99.99.99.100 for instance

When a packet hits the firewall:

www goes to web server 1.1.1.10
ftp goes to FTP server 1.1.1.20
Docs goes to file server 1.1.1.30

etc.

In your case, you want it to forward to your WWW, since thats where the DynDns is setup

So no matter what happens, as long as DynDns keeps doing it's thing, you should be able to fwd: any hostname to your primary Domain, and have it resolve the main page via the redirect.

why can't you just hit your www directly and create a custom page for your folding stats ?

I am having trouble understanding why you have to hit your site via IP. If you have dyndns working you can just use the hostname

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive not tried DynDns yet. Will have a play around next time im at the folding machines
and HFM says that my FTP server on my static webserver isnt a real address.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts