Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I'm new to WC, I just bought the reservoir pump, waterblock for my gpu, fittings and soft tube from Corsair, I also have some angular fittings from EKWB, the think is that I'm not able to import PT Nuke or other sort of Biocide in my country and here you can't find anything like it at all. I tried searching for the silver coil, and i couldn't find anything either.

I'm wondering if I can use like 10% Antifreeze and 90% Distilled water to make it work like biocide? I've read some other use like dish soap ? if that's the case, and dish soap?
I found an antifreeze from Prestone which contains : Ethylene Glycol , Water ,Diethylene Glycol and 2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt, it's a pink antifreeze, 50%, I can also find the regular green and red.

I have already bought a couple of gallons of Distilled water and I've read I can't use just distilled water for long period, I don't mind flushing and filling my loop like every 4-6 months, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Liquid Fluid Packaging and labeling Service Bottle
Liquid Fluid Plant Science Drink

·
Iconoclast
32,325 Posts
That concentration of antifreeze won't be a particularly good biocide, and dishsoap is even less effective as a biocide in this context.

Silver doesn't need to be sold as a kill coil to be used for biocidal purposes. You can shave a strip off a silver coin with a knife if you have to, or leave a small silver utensil in res, it will do the same thing, as long as it's pure enough. An ounce of silver is about a hundred times what you need and shouldn't cost more than a jug of antifreeze.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That concentration of antifreeze won't be a particularly good biocide, and dishsoap is even less effective as a biocide in this context.

Silver doesn't need to be sold as a kill coil to be used for biocidal purposes. You can shave a strip off a silver coin with a knife if you have to, or leave a small silver utensil in res, it will do the same thing, as long as it's pure enough. An ounce of silver is about a hundred times what you need and shouldn't cost more than a jug of antifreeze.

Thank you for your response, I'll try to find a silver piece that might be useful for it, I've read the silver must be .999 silver correct? I can only seem to find stuff that is 925 Silver.
I also found cooper sulfate drops for aquarium, I believe I've read somewhere that's what PT Nuke is basically, not sure if I can use it or not. It's a small 15ml bottle and basically it just says cooper. (cooper sulfate for aquarium)
I'll keep looking, thank you very much.

·
Rig Advisor
4,315 Posts
Thank you for your response, I'll try to find a silver piece that might be useful for it, I've read the silver must be .999 silver correct? I can only seem to find stuff that is 925 Silver.
I also found cooper sulfate drops for aquarium, I believe I've read somewhere that's what PT Nuke is basically, not sure if I can use it or not. It's a small 15ml bottle and basically it just says cooper. (cooper sulfate for aquarium)
What country are you in? Is that an Israeli flag?

·
Iconoclast
32,325 Posts
Sterling silver is still biocidal. Copper sulfate drops will also work. Don't use them together.

Also, it should probably be mentioned that neither of these should be used if you have nickel plated components. If that's the case, you probably want some kind of benzalkonium chloride biocide.

• Rep+
Reactions: LancerVI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sterling silver is still biocidal. Copper sulfate drops will also work. Don't use them together.

Also, it should probably be mentioned that neither of these should be used if you have nickel plated components. If that's the case, you probably want some kind of benzalkonium chloride biocide.
I guess Silver and Cooper sulfate is out of the question then, I think Corsair pump, fittings are made of nickel-plated, and the only thing closer to benzalkonium chloride is a hand sanitizer I found on a hardware store. It says is based on benzalkonium chloride but yeah it has more additives to it. https://www.amazon.com/Panrosa-Sani...643031174&sprefix=panrosa+sani,aps,111&sr=8-1

Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Solution
Bottle Liquid Solution Glass bottle Fluid

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I just found out that Merthiolate and It can be found mercury-free contains benzalkonium chloride, I wonder if a couple of drops of it would do the trick.
Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Ingredient Fluid

·
LTSC for life crew
4,505 Posts
Wow I read this at no replies and was thinking how I wanted to word a reply. Came back from letting the dog out and we've got good responses already. Anybody that says the forum is totally dead isn't looking hard enough.

^This.

I've also used bleach as a biocide agent but this was in closed loop solar heating systems. Don't think the bleach would work out so great in a wcing loop

Funny enough I got some pure gold flakes in little ounce tubes and they are not worth enough to even deal with the paperwork to sell to a jeweler.

·
Iconoclast
32,325 Posts
hand sanitizer
I'd be worried about the gelling agents gunking up the loop.

I just found out that Merthiolate and It can be found mercury-free contains benzalkonium chloride, I wonder if a couple of drops of it would do the trick.
View attachment 2544497
That would probably be better, but dilute it before putting it in any loop, or the alcohol might cause issues with acrylic.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,146 Posts
Can you list your loop config? It would be good to know what metals you have before recommending silver.

Ethylene glycol (common agent in antifreeze) does not play nicely with soft tubing from my personal experience.
Plasticizer will leach from the tubing and you may mistake it for organic material.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you list your loop config? It would be good to know what metals you have before recommending silver.

Ethylene glycol (common agent in antifreeze) does not play nicely with soft tubing from my personal experience.
Plasticizer will leach from the tubing and you may mistake it for organic material.
Thanks for your reply!

The list of components is the following :

Alphacool Eiszapfen Y-Connect 45 rotatable
Alphacool Eiszapfen Extension
Alphacool Eiszapfen 2-way Ball Valve G1/4
EK-Torque Angled 45 EK Quantum Line
EK-Torque Angled 90 EK Quantum Line
Corsair Hydro X Series 90° Rotary Adapter Twin Pack
Corsair Hydro X Series 45° Rotary Adapter Twin Pack
Corsair Hydro X Series 12mm OD Fittings, Four Pack
Corsair CX-9059001-WW Hydro X Series, Xt Softline
CORSAIR Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling Radiator
Corsair Hydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo - White
CORSAIR Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 30-Series Reference GPU Water Block

I'm only cooling my GPU.

·
WaterCooler
4,885 Posts
Yeah I don't know what the OEM is for Corsair's tubing. Have to be careful with Ethylene Glycol and certain kinds of soft tubing.

On that same note, do you have nickel plated blocks OP? If so, gotta be careful with silver and such.

Are you really not able to just order a premix and get that sent to your country? Just curious since you were able to acquire everything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah I don't know what the OEM is for Corsair's tubing. Have to be careful with Ethylene Glycol and certain kinds of soft tubing.

On that same note, do you have nickel plated blocks OP? If so, gotta be careful with silver and such.

Are you really not able to just order a premix and get that sent to your country? Just curious since you were able to acquire everything else.
According to corsair website is nickelplated in the cold plate and cooper on the heatpipe.

I can order it but there's a whole process to get the import permission for it which takes months being lucky that you are able to get it, thats why im trying to find any alternative
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Just an FYI, you can sometimes find .999 silver in kits or bundles that are used to make colloidal silver.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,992 Posts

Amen. I made that mistake with my nickel blocks 15 or so years ago. HUGE MISTAKE, if you want a nice and clean loop.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,992 Posts
Understood, so pretty much what it does is just remove the painting from the pieces? do you think it will be the same even if I flush it like every 4-5 months?
I wouldn't run it for a week, let alone 4-5 months.

Imagine nickel plates coated with the stuff batteries leak when sitting in a flashlight too long. Crusty, white crap and junk everywhere. It'll murder the fin array of your blocks.

DO NOT MIX NICKEL with silver. MAJOR MISTAKE, especially if you ignore it as "tube plasticize clouding" like I did.

I'm no expert, but I've been WC'in since the late 90s. I learned this lesson the hardway. (stupidity and laziness played a role too, if I'm honest.)

·
WaterCooler
4,885 Posts
I also learned that lesson the hard way. Never again and why I generally do not recommend silver these days with the prevalence of pre-mixes and additives for distilled water and most blocks being nickel plated anymore.

• Rep+
Reactions: ciarlatano
1 - 20 of 36 Posts