Overclock.net banner

Subwoofer help

971 10
Hopefully someone in the interweb can help I have a denon avrs549bt receiver and I inherited a bose acoustimass 25 series 2 subwoofer (dinosaur i know) that I can't seem to get to work didn't come with any cables so I purchased a 13 pin to rca is this wrong? Thank you.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
1,663 Posts
make sure its plugged in,,i cant really say how its going to work,reminds me of my 2.1 system for my pc,the subwoofer box powers the left and right also,,,in theory the sub preout should work,,but 1 RCA into a 13pin doesnt make sence

· Registered
993 Posts
You won't get that sub to work, unless you have that cable / special box.
As far as your AVR, you also don't have pre-out sub.

So you're pretty much left with getting a new sub that has high power inputs (speaker cables).
On the positive side of things, any entry level, cheap subwoofer will sound better.

Schematic Font Parallel Technical drawing Engineering

Organism Font Circle Number Logo

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You won't get that sub to work, unless you have that cable / special box.
As far as your AVR, you also don't have pre-out sub.

So you're pretty much left with getting a new sub that has high power inputs (speaker cables).
On the positive side of things, any entry level, cheap subwoofer will sound better.

View attachment 2558765

View attachment 2558766
Yeah I wanted a new one but my boyfriend wanted to use this cause it was free. Thanks for your help

· Graphics Junkie
4,518 Posts
Yeah I wanted a new one but my boyfriend wanted to use this cause it was free. Thanks for your help
It was probably free because there is no practical way to use it without the speaker kit it came with. It's junk.

If you want a cheap subwoofer go to a thrift store.

· Premium Member
8,390 Posts
It was probably free because there is no practical way to use it without the speaker kit it came with. It's junk.

If you want a cheap subwoofer go to a thrift store.
This.. That subwoofer is designed to be used with a specific set of speakers, and basically uses proprietary ports.

Your AV receiver is fine because it has RCA subwoofer pre (any RCA cable will work)... If you get another subwoofer, any subwoofer with RCA inputs are going to work.

ONE THING TO NOTE: The receiver will probably be dual - mono subwoofers. This means that the subwoofer pre-outs will not be for a left or right channel sub, if you connect two subwoofers to these connections, they will both be playing the same thing (ie, dual mono).

· Old and Decrepit
2,664 Posts
Do yourself favor and toss that thing. The Bose Acoustimass sub pushes air and thats about it. I bought the whole system for far too much money some years back and took the whole package back. Basically everything plugs into the sub then the individual speakers plug into the sub. Even when its working its junk. There's plenty of entry level. Don't know where you are but if you are in the NYC tristate area I have a smaller Polk powered sub that does have speaker wire inputs that Id give you if you post a video of you smashing that Bose with a sledgehammer. Its nothing special, I think 100W integrated amp but it works and would sound far better than that thing. Dont know what you have now for the rest of the speakers but again if you are in the area I have enough Polk monitor speakers about 15 years old that all work, in good cosmetic condition that Id sell you a whole 5.1 system for next to nothing. Discount for video of smashing the Bose!!
Hit me up. I just jumped off the cliff and went to a serious high end 9.2.4 system.
If you arent anywhere close an SVS SB1000 is reasonable and would sound better than that thing ever would. Like I said it just moves air. Zero tonality when working brand new. Catch phrase. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose. I had a pair of 901s back in the day that were awesome once you got them placed correctly. PITA as you basically had to get the speakers in the right spot in the room then put your furniture around that. They did sound awesome though from any seating position. Thats the only speakers they ever made that were worth a crap. The little brother 501 book shelf speakers were decent too. Anything else just doesn't have it. Literally any other home theater set in a box is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.