Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received my new Logitech z523 2.1 speakers and I am very pleased with the sound I get from it although I notice that there seems to be a rattle on a certain song when the volume knob is at about 10 o'clock and the bass is a little below half. The song does a have a bit of 'kick' in it and the rattle seems to come from the back where the plugs are and the metal back plate thing.
The rattle is only noticeable when you go up fairly close to it. Should I be worried about this? Will it get worse over time?

· Registered
1,765 Posts
There are several possibilities:

1. It could be a loose driver - tighten the mounting screws if you can get to them.

2. It could be a deformed voice coil; this is either a manufacturing defect or the woofer was pushed too hard and bottomed out. If this is the case, then the whole thing needs to be replaced.

3. The woofer simply can't handle the hz being put through it, though I doubt this is the case if you don't even have the knob past 50%.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the deformed voice coil a common occurrence among speakers? I've heard something about breaking in speakers, would that apply to these speakers to give it more stretching over time in case the sub is too stiff, not sure if this is likely though. When it comes to speakers, I'm not the best there is
tongue.gif

· Premium Member
13,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiz View Post

Is the deformed voice coil a common occurrence among speakers? I've heard something about breaking in speakers, would that apply to these speakers to give it more stretching over time in case the sub is too stiff, not sure if this is likely though. When it comes to speakers, I'm not the best there is
tongue.gif
What do have your sound card set to? 10 o'clock means nothing if you have everthing jacked up on your sound card or onboard sound. Moving parts need time to break in, speakers included.

· Premium Member
36,980 Posts
My guess, its probably a note that's just getting distorted to the point that your little "subwoofer" is rattling the dinky "amp". Try tightening all the screws on it a little bit (don't strip them). If that fails, then its just a defect with your "sub", and I would suggest a replacement.

· Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Most rattle on subs in my experience is the braided power lead from the basket to the coil slapping the cone. Higher quality drivers are careful to ensure that the lead position and length will not allow this- or the power leads are impregnated into the spider.

· Premium Member
36,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiz View Post

Yeah, the rattle is coming from the power lead area or just in side it. Think I should get a replacement?
I really doubt there's going to be anything you can do, short of getting real speakers honestly. You could try an RMA, but honestly the cost of shipping is more than those speakers are worth.

Or you could just live with it. Up to you.

You could also try fixing it yourself, by making sure everything is bolted down tightly.

· Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Well... The type of rattle I am describing would normally be heard on the speaker cone itself as the power lead that extends from the speaker basket to the coil slaps the cone. If you are hearing it somewhere else on the box, then the rattle is probably something else loose in the box.

· Registered
1 Posts
Today I received my new Logitech z523 2.1 speakers and I am very pleased with the sound I get from it although I notice that there seems to be a rattle on a certain song when the volume knob is at about 10 o'clock and the bass is a little below half. The song does a have a bit of 'kick' in it and the rattle seems to come from the back where the plugs are and the metal back plate thing.
The rattle is only noticeable when you go up fairly close to it. Should I be worried about this? Will it get worse over time?
that happens a lot a to my subwoofer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts