Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helllooo everybody, and hey to anyone who helped me in my last thread

I successfully have gotten my ram stable @ a 1.680v (XMP Profile)

Did 2 passes of Memtest86+...this is sufficient enough to stress it right?
Im also going to be doing Linx in a little bit, if need be.

But my CPU is another story
settings are as follows:

CPU Vore @ 1.400
CPU VTT @ 1.350
CPU PLL @ 1.900
Multiplier at x20
BCLK @ 200
HT disabled, EIST disable, C-state disabled, all of that eesh
HW monitor is showing min CPU temps @ 43C,39C,38C,36C (of course starting from #0 core to #4.

Under stress they get up in the high 60's and i stopped as soon as i saw 70C+

Now this is my first time tweaking my own voltages, so i know for a fact i might of set something too high, so please i beg of you my fellow comrades, give me some suggestions. Any voltages to lower, anything knowledge is helpful =]

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by COMEDOR View Post
Helllooo everybody, and hey to anyone who helped me in my last thread

I successfully have gotten my ram stable @ a 1.680v (XMP Profile)

Did 2 passes of Memtest86+...this is sufficient enough to stress it right?
Memtest86+ actually only checks for errors and doesn't stress the memory at all. But even so, 10 passes is the best to be sure. Yeah, it might take a few hours, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

To actually stress the memory, people have often recommended HCi's MemTest to me (but I haven't used it yet for some reason). This is run from within Windows, but I don't know how to use it yet.

Quote:

Im also going to be doing Linx in a little bit, if need be.
It will be needed, and so will Prime95.

Quote:

But my CPU is another story
settings are as follows:

CPU Vore @ 1.400
CPU VTT @ 1.350
CPU PLL @ 1.900
Multiplier at x20
BCLK @ 200
HT disabled, EIST disable, C-state disabled, all of that eesh
HW monitor is showing min CPU temps @ 43C,39C,38C,36C (of course starting from #0 core to #4.

Under stress they get up in the high 60's and i stopped as soon as i saw 70C+

Now this is my first time tweaking my own voltages, so i know for a fact i might of set something too high, so please i beg of you my fellow comrades, give me some suggestions. Any voltages to lower, anything knowledge is helpful =]
What are you using for CPU cooling? I mean, is it the Intel HSF that came with the CPU?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Memtest86+ actually only checks for errors and doesn't stress the memory at all. But even so, 10 passes is the best to be sure. Yeah, it might take a few hours, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

To actually stress the memory, people have often recommended HCi's MemTest to me (but I haven't used it yet for some reason). This is run from within Windows, but I don't know how to use it yet.

It will be needed, and so will Prime95.

What are you using for CPU cooling? I mean, is it the Intel HSF that came with the CPU?
Using the CNPS9900LED Zalman cooler w/ their thermal paste, been using AS5 for years figured i might as well change it up, performance is near identical.

My 870 has a max multiplier of 22, i did have a feeling the Vcore would be too high. These are ALL test settings, i only set it to 1.4 cause OC Genie set it at that and everything was stable running in the 60-65C's believe it or not. Now its nowhere near the same boat.

Did some research and OC Genie automatically sets these defaults.
CPU Vcore 1.400 (think it was a tad bit higher actually)
CPU VTT 1.399V
And CPU PLL left at auto.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
What was the program you were using to stress the CPU (when it reached 70°C)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://i26.tinypic.com/6ekf9v.jpg

and that was literally, 10 seconds after i pressed start.

ALTHOUGH, i did pause 2 instances of that memtest software you recommended to re-do this test and SS it for you.So im not sure if that would come into play with the light increase in temperatures (never really saw my cores in the 80's)>

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

http://i26.tinypic.com/6ekf9v.jpg

and that was literally, 10 seconds after i pressed start.

ALTHOUGH, i did pause 2 instances of that memtest software you recommended to re-do this test and SS it for you.So im not sure if that would come into play with the light increase in temperatures (never really saw my cores in the 80's)>
That's way higher than I would expect it to be! I would expect it to be perhaps in the 60s!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know me too! I really think its a voltage problem, do you have any recommendations i should lower?

Whats interesting is, when i enabled OC Genie (auto function for my P55-GD80 mobo to oc)
it overclocks it to 3.7 with the above settings and even then my loads were in the 50's-60's.

Now AFTER i updated my bios, from 1.6 to 1.9 i noticed an immediate change in idle temps. No longer in the 20's, they're in the 30's now.

I mean what can i do man? I really just want to get some safe temperatures. Im thinking of enabling OC Genie again, stressing it and seeing if i get the same results.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

I know me too! I really think its a voltage problem, do you have any recommendations i should lower?

Whats interesting is, when i enabled OC Genie (auto function for my P55-GD80 mobo to oc)
it overclocks it to 3.7 with the above settings and even then my loads were in the 50's-60's.

Now AFTER i updated my bios, from 1.6 to 1.9 i noticed an immediate change in idle temps. No longer in the 20's, they're in the 30's now.

I mean what can i do man? I really just want to get some safe temperatures. Im thinking of enabling OC Genie again, stressing it and seeing if i get the same results.
I guess the heatsink installation can be a suspect. But if it's really tight and solid and doesn't wobble or anything if you push on it a little, then I guess that would be ruled out.

Is your system out in the open, or in an enclosed area? Or, I mean what kind of breathing room does it have? I used to keep my rig in a deskhole, but it caused the temperatures to be about 20°C higher because it was just recycling the warm exhaust air.

Some might even say that either too much or too little thermal paste is a suspect, so I suppose that can be another question: how much did you use and how did you apply it?

But, one thing I wonder is: what does CPU-Z say the core voltage is while under load?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I guess the heatsink installation can be a suspect. But if it's really tight and solid and doesn't wobble or anything if you push on it a little, then I guess that would be ruled out.

Is your system out in the open, or in an enclosed area? Or, I mean what kind of breathing room does it have? I used to keep my rig in a deskhole, but it caused the temperatures to be about 20°C higher because it was just recycling the warm exhaust air.

Some might even say that either too much or too little thermal paste is a suspect, so I suppose that can be another question: how much did you use and how did you apply it?

But, one thing I wonder is: what does CPU-Z say the core voltage is while under load?
Under load, CPU-Z goes to about 1.440v. I only chose a high voltage cause like i said, the OC Genie was solid at Vcore 1.4 and VTT 1.399 with temps in the 60's.

Nothing has changed, my rig on my desk, its a CM HAFX. So it has great airflow, dual 200mm fans at the top to exhaust out and a 200mm on the side and a 200mm in the front.

ALL my other temperatures are normal, just like they have been. Its just been like this switch was turned on and now im getting horrible temps.

The heatsink is installed very well, i had a friend do it. I guess just to double check is to see if the screws are screwed tightly right? Im fairly sure he used the right amount of thermal paste.

OH BTW, i went and applied the same settings OC Genie did (i think i got all of them right) and i wasnt getting the same temps i was. These things are fkn sky rocketing...its starting to scare me because the first 870 i bought was bad, 2 seconds into prime95 and ALL cores were at 90C.

But ever since i've had this chip its been great, something has just gone wrong.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Oh, then 1.440V would do it for sure. That's a very high voltage.
I think it's bordering on the edge of being unsafe too. But don't worry - it's not like you had it like that for several weeks in a row or something under constant load!

But my brain is mush right now (lack of sleep), so I need to ask a question because I'm confused: are the temperatures much lower now?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh dear, forgive me. Trust when i say im very familiar with the "lack of sleep haze" i like to call it haha.

Umm i still got the same temps, a little higher actually.

Just went in and tweaked it
Vcore 1.350
VTT 1.222
and PLL on auto

and this is what i get 10 seconds into ITB lol..

frustration is starting to kick in, not sure if i should just ditch OC altogether and enable HT and go that rought. I just wish my temps would stay in the low 60's !!! i have more than sufficient cooling. i just dont get it Cables!

EDIT: made a SS for you cables http://i31.tinypic.com/21687m.jpg..i also dropped the multiplier to 19. I feel like theres one or two settings im overlooking thats giving me these crazy temps

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
I hope to hear from some other i7-860 users soon who also have the Zalman 9900 (or similar) to see if these are actually normal or if they're higher than expected. I mean, I I guess it could be since it's an overclocked quad, Linpack, and 1.384V!

I think I have a tendency to forget that quads are generally hotter CPUs. But still, that's only 10 seconds into IBT which I agree is a good point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also just took off the side and made sure the heatsink is secured properly. The way the CNPS9900 is designed regardless how tight it is, its probably gonna feel a little sketchy only cause of the design, it leads down into brass pipes, kinda hard to explain but im sure you've all seen it.

I really dont know what to do at this point, all i know is when i got the comp, it idled in the 20's and even with OC Genie enabled it stayed below 60C

I just hope someone with some voltage knowledge can help me out
cause i know i have something set wrong.

Someone please blast through and save me !

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Another bump for the cause!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts