Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my ~6 month old 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (HD103SJ) abruptly died yesterday, and i'm trying to figure out how/why.

Long story short: I had my page file set on the F3, and yesterday I woke up to a BSoD... it was just one sentence that had "page file" in it. I restarted and it hung at the windows loading screen for 5 minutes before finishing booting regularly.

From that point on, the hdd is never visible to the OS (My Computer/Device Manager/Disk Management, etc), but specialized programs, like Everest and data recovery software can still see it somewhat.

I won't bore you with all the diagnostic/troubleshooting stuff I've done, but like the title says, I suspect the hdd's controller chipset thingy is the culprit. When I plug the sata and power cables in, it spins up just fine and does a second of normal-sounding activity. No clicks or stutters, it just purrs quietly. The S.M.A.R.T readout was spotless and zero damaged sectors according to HDTune the last time I ran it.

Any insights? Questions or ideas? I'm thinking about just buying another F3 off newegg and using its chipset on my defective F3 to get some data off of it
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would first try it on another computer.

Maybe check if Samsung have an updated firmware?

Even check if the motherboard has a bios update to fix this.

Recuva is a good program to recover data.

I would try an rma on either your hard drives or motherboard depending on what you find out.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried it on my folding computer (different psu, cables, mobo, etc), but same result. I'm not sure how i'd flash its firmware when I can't connect to it though.

I'll try Recuva (i've played with it in the past), but I was also thinking about putting ubuntu or pendrive linux on a thumb drive and praying its just a MFT or file system problem somehow...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Is this a classsic case ose Ohh noes it cant be my hard drive must blame another part!

Dont use recuva. Use a program called testdisk. Its really advanced stuff and comes only in a CLI interface but it works really well where other programs fail.

Sorry if this isnt the answer you wanted. To much text to lazy to read LOL.

**Actually read it.

It could be that the hard drive is failing to mount to the OS.

This is very likely to be a hard drive error.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Downloaded the testdisk/photorec program... it unfortunately relies on the disk being mounted/recognized to do anything.

I'm positive the hdd is the problem, but its now a question of what part of the hdd. Like I mentioned before, it doesn't show any of the classic signs of a dying hard drive, which is giving me hope that the platters/heads/motor are fine but the chipset on the hdd kicked the bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh, yeah, I reverted to stock and reinstalled windows... same situation. It shows up sometimes in the bios/post screen. Other times its flat not there, and a few times it just hangs during POST. No pattern that I can see either

If I get some free time i'll make a LiveCD or put pendrive linux on my usb, but i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to linux so anything thats not GUI makes me uncomfortable

For those who are curious, I ordered another F3 from newegg (3 day ship) so hopefully I can Frankenstein this thing back to life

1 - 9 of 9 Posts