Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
6600 GT is the best mid-range card out atm, and can usually be found for right around $200. I have it (PCIE version) and love it 0 problems in games and runs everything at 12xx x 1xxx perfectly on highest settings (cs:s, hl 2, WoW, Doom3 ect..)

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |talian $tallion
honestly, i dont want to spend that much, i just want an entry level AGP card that will out perform my PCI card
like how much though?

·
Banned
542 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus

Have a look at either: -

ATI - 9700pro
nVidia - 5700LE

io recommend spending a bit much and getting the readeon 9800se(make sure its got a 256bit memroy bus) you know this the memry chips will be in a shape of a upside dwn L. get a different hsf i have an artic cooler rev.3 flash the bios to xt OR download omega drivers and force it to be a 9800 pro

sometimes its not always successful because the se cards r cut downs of there bigger bro's some times the pipelines are faulty so make sure you backup you existing bios

1 way to find out if the newlly revelled pipelines are faulty is a checker board effect in games of random off colour pixels

REP ME IF I HELPED

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chaos said:
Isn't 9800 se 256 mb.. like $140-160? The $180 (evga) 6600 GT kills it.[/QUOTE

I had a 9600 SE. It is really a dumb card, but plays half-life 2 and doom 3 well enough at 1024*768. HL2 even plays well on 1280*1024 LCD mode.

Right now I am trying a 6600GT and i would say its worth the money you pay for. Got a 3DMARk03 score of 9000 ( i guess thats not bad at all). Cost is around 200-250 dollars.

Have ordered a 6800 Ultra OC which should be here soon..But that card is one of the most expensive ones out there in the market now..

To conclude, go for a 9800 SE or PRO or get the 6600GT if you can pay 200 dollars...Good value for money.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Good choice except it's abour $350 over his budget
Really, in that price range you'll be better off trying to track down a Radeon 9800 Pro.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
hmmm well the 5700 would be the better option, but if all possible, avoid the LE version.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I have this card...and it performs well for what it is.....it is overclocked to 430 core/510 memory on stock cooling and has been stable for months...it plays any game on hi res settings without a hitch..
http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=VC-127-115
the 5700le isnt all that bad a card for the money.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357

Thats the card im getting

btw, how well does the huge @$$ heatsink do on that thing?

The massive heatsink on it is top notch.... It's solid copper and dissipates heat like no other. I've never been more happy with a vid card.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
good, i wish it had black PCB or even blue, just not green. oh well, its a small price to pay for better performance.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357

good, i wish it had black PCB or even blue, just not green. oh well, its a small price to pay for better performance.

The HSF on it was the main deciding factor of me getting it, no other GT's have the Ultra HSF's on em
Goooo Leadtek, hehe. The price aint shabby either!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts