Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to have a AMD setup a while back. For some reason, my opinion(not to bag on intel) AMD ran much better with less problem.

I'm going to build a new computer with the AMD setup and my budget is 500$. Any suggestions on my new build?

Ideas and help would work. I do light gaming and more video editing. Quad core would be fine.

Thanks ... leaving to the race tracks.. be back tonight

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
go for a 920 phenom ii, unless you plan on doing some really serious overclocking. I don't really see why you'd be upgrading from a 6600 to any AMD chip right now as they're all about equivalent to the intel quad core series. But if you insist, you can pick up some good deals with up to 100 off on mobo + cpu combos on newegg. As far as graphics, you can probably get a 4830 (or two in crossfire) as they perform extremely well (and scale very well with crossfire). Pencil modding them can allow you to hit speeds comparable to the 4850.

Hope this was helpful.

Use DDR2!

If you're on quite a tight budget you can consider a triple core AMD. Most applications are only scripted for two still and those that are scripted for multiple cores should run fine on an OCed 3 core.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually my board died on me, i'm puttin the `q6600 on my daughters gaming computer

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsvtec
View Post

I use to have a AMD setup a while back. For some reason, my opinion(not to bag on intel) AMD ran much better with less problem.

I'm going to build a new computer with the AMD setup and my budget is 500$. Any suggestions on my new build?

Ideas and help would work. I do light gaming and more video editing. Quad core would be fine.

Thanks ... leaving to the race tracks.. be back tonight

Hey man!

If I were you I wouldn't spend the money to go AMD at this point. Instead I would ditch your motherboard and graphics cards and replace them with this:

Motherboard - (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358)

Graphics - (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131125)

That motherboard will allow you to get a great overclock on your Q6600 and that graphics card will run circles around your current ones. This should allow you to get INCREDIBLY MUCH better performance and still spend less than your budget. You shouldn't even need a new PSU.

The AMD parts that would fall within your budget are not necessarily an upgrade to your current system, and it's clear to me that your GPUs are the biggest problem, not your processor. On that motherboard, people take the Q6600 as far as 4GHz and even higher on extreme cooling.

EDIT - just saw that you're giving away your Q6600.... this could be a good replacement:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115131

Will OC well on that Gigabyte board.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
the vx550w would be better than the hx520.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts