Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OC peeps! I'm writing with the hope of getting some nice suggestions about which mouse I should consider for my upgrade. I've been using an Anker 8200 Gaming Mouse for the past two years and I was looking for a similar experience, but with a better sensor. Here's the info:
  1. Grip style: Fingertip, leaning towards Claw sometimes
  2. Sensitivity: My current mouse software says 150DPI, testing says ~8cm for a full left-to-right 1080p 22" monitor swipe
  3. Buget: ~65€
  4. Additional buttons: A total of 5-6 buttons minimum (5 would already feel limited)
  5. Games: Mainly FPS, but I play all genres from time to time, so I'm looking for a mouse that just feels right in every situation
  6. Prediction: I'd rather have raw mouse position registering (kinda obvious lol)
  7. Other relevant information: probably a slightly wider silhouette would be nice. Hand size is 18cm from middle finger to palm base, 9cm sideways w/o thumb. I only use my right hand for a mouse. Medium-light weight would be ideal (current mouse weighs 140g and feels good). Going for wired mouse, braided cord would be cool, and no i don't like gloss that much but aesthetics isn't a priority at all. I'm looking for quick and clicky buttons!
That should about wrap it up. Looking forward for your replies! Thanks for your time if you've read so far
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
maybe Logitech G403?
it's quite wide feeling to me, but not super long, and if I put my palm on it I can claw it, but I mostly fingertip grip it. the height is a bit much for fingertipping for me, but I think it's less tall than your Anker mouse, so if you are OK with the height of that, maybe this one would be even better.

doesn't have more than 6 buttons though. weight is 87g? and can add more weights if desired.
thumb.gif

sensor is top notch, one of the best.
buttons are great, some of the nicest I've used. light and clicky, no mushiness at all.

scroll wheel is pretty good, smoother steps than I prefer but seems really high quality. great for fast scrolling.

and cable is pretty good for being braided.
not glossy either. good rubber grip IMO.

DPI is completely customizeable in steps of 50, but it works really well even at high DPI if you want to use that. I tried up to 3200dpi and it's good there too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Logitech G402 or Logitech G502. They both have 5 buttons but G502 has a DPI button.

-G502 has a tilt scroll wheel and you can also press a button to make it free flowing.
-G502 weighs more than G402 (its about 130+ grams without weights)
-G502 has a better sensor, you can swipe it much faster than the G402 (but the G402 sensor is still good enough, I actually prefer the G402 sensor's feel)

-G402 is slightly wider than G502 (I haven't used the G402 so I don't know how it feels in comparison)
-G402 weighs about 108 grams but has no extra weights
-G402 costs much less than the G502 (usually)

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
I've tried quite a few large mice and settled with G403 which is medium sized but it's the only that has usable shape for my larger 21cm or so hands. If you're finger tipping or clawing then either you have even bigger hands or you can use a small mice such as G102.
Extra buttons... get a keyboard? Or get Roccat button infested mice.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0rry View Post

Logitech G403 only has 2 side buttons though.
yup, he said 5-6 buttons minimum, the G403 fits that with its 6 buttons total. you can edit the 6th button functions with the Logitech Gaming Software.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was already looking at a Logitech G502 and a G203, the G402 and the G403 look pretty nice. Really interested in the G502, I'm just scared about its weight and the fact that it looks narrow.

I forgot to mention, a tiltable wheel is a very appetizing feature, and I could do with a 5 buttons mouse if it has a 4-direction wheel.
To me it's kind of surprising to see the G403 cost as much as a G502... The simplistic shape is very appealing to me, if it had a 4D wheel I'd go for it, even with "only" 5 buttons and a half (that button behind the mouse wheel is impractical for quick access)

In case I would decide to give up any extra buttons and 4D wheel, would a G203 be a good choice? I'd be curious to hear from someone who had direct experience but speculation is also welcomed
tongue.gif

·
Registered
343 Posts
G502 weighs about what your mouse does I thought you wanted the more weight. I have the same hand size as you and the mouse fits my hand perfectly. It's literally the ideal shape if it didn't weigh so much.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabTheZen View Post

I was already looking at a Logitech G502 and a G203, the G402 and the G403 look pretty nice. Really interested in the G502, I'm just scared about its weight and the fact that it looks narrow.

I forgot to mention, a tiltable wheel is a very appetizing feature, and I could do with a 5 buttons mouse if it has a 4-direction wheel.
To me it's kind of surprising to see the G403 cost as much as a G502... The simplistic shape is very appealing to me, if it had a 4D wheel I'd go for it, even with "only" 5 buttons and a half (that button behind the mouse wheel is impractical for quick access)

In case I would decide to give up any extra buttons and 4D wheel, would a G203 be a good choice? I'd be curious to hear from someone who had direct experience but speculation is also welcomed
tongue.gif
G203 is very narrow compared to the G403 at least. and a bit more so than G502.

and I think the G403 costs as much because it's a few years newer.

G502 might be a good option though if you're OK with the weight - it's about 110g? with the weights removed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post

G502 might be a good option though if you're OK with the weight - it's about 110g? with the weights removed.
Dang I wish it was 110 without weights. Its about 135 I believe. I took out all the weights and even the bottom panel that holds the weights and it's still a brick.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0rry View Post

Dang I wish it was 110 without weights. Its about 135 I believe. I took out all the weights and even the bottom panel that holds the weights and it's still a brick.
I got mine to around 100g swapping scroll wheel - without cable though.

it still feels heavy though cause it's fairly compact but tall.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a tough decision lol. I have been thinking what I value most, (light)weight or width, and I think I probably wouldn't mind a lack of extra width as long as the hold is comfortable and of a good overall size. I used to use my mouse with 3*5g(?) weights in it but when I tried playing without any weight it felt much better...
I'm going to put some more thought about the G402, which seems like a good compromise overall, and see if it's worth the extra money over the G203, which by specs doesn't seem much smaller. Which one would you guys suggest me to choose?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabTheZen View Post

This is a tough decision lol. I have been thinking what I value most, (light)weight or width, and I think I probably wouldn't mind a lack of extra width as long as the hold is comfortable and of a good overall size. I used to use my mouse with 3*5g(?) weights in it but when I tried playing without any weight it felt much better...
I'm going to put some more thought about the G402, which seems like a good compromise overall, and see if it's worth the extra money over the G203, which by specs doesn't seem much smaller. Which one would you guys suggest me to choose?
G402 feels a bit bigger due to being taller, IME.
but both are really good - G203 is a bit better overall I think. the cable on the G402 is actually quite horribly stiff.

·
Registered
343 Posts
G402 -
A lot bigger than G203
Extra buttons
Rubber side grips

G203 -
Better sensor (But i still like the G402 sensor a lot)
More lightweight (but it is a lot smaller so for the size it wont feel lighter)

If the G402's cable is anything like the G100s, I don't think it's that bad. Sometimes a stiffer cable is nicer because it doesn't flop around as much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm almost convinced about the G402 as I've been listening good feedback from a friend too... In what way is the sensor on the G402 worse? Does it show any ghost acceleration? I'd hate that lol

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The sensor is great. I just wish it wasn't so long (arguably the worst bit design wise aside from the right side).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully it won't be long enough to be uncomfortable! What's wrong with the right side of the mouse?

Edit: is anyone concerned about the thumb button being annoying for ergonomics? I feel like I might accidentally hit it while gripping the mouse normally

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah the right side looks good to me. I like it when the right side is curved inward so I can grip it better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts