Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for CPU suggestions for a new build. I have been eyeballing the I7 4770k for so long, but with all the new cpu's out I was curious to see if any of you had better advice for me. I'm really not trying to spend more than 250.00 or 260.00 for my processor.

I currently have an I7 930 @4.2

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,676 Posts
I would hold off til Skylake, when they move the FIVR back off the package, and then do a whole system upgrade. For $250 bucks, I really don't know what you are going to shove into that motherboard to make it feel like it is a brand new system.

That just my two sense though. Haswell and Devils Canyon are pretty sweet chips, just massively hot.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

wait for skylake meanwhile you can get a xeon x5650 or x5660 for less than 100usd
Isn't the per core performance the same when clocked the same? I just dont see it as a worthwhile upgrade unless they clock higher or the workload utilizes >8 cores. I have not owned a 58 xeon, so serious question here.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Isn't the per core performance the same when clocked the same? I just dont see it as a worthwhile upgrade unless they clock higher or the workload utilizes >8 cores. I have not owned a 58 xeon, so serious question here.
the westmere shares the i7 980s architecture. Which can oc over 4GHz and the singlethread is a bit slower or the same as the SB i7 but 25% faster on Multithreading workload against a 2600k

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

What are you doing?????

You have an awesome system. Just get a xeon processor and a new gpu and you would be all set.
Agree. That cpu is still viable. You would have to raise your budget to get a better chip.
2cents.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is really good feedback, thank you all. I have been fighting with myself on getting the 4770K and upgrading the MOBO. I just wanted a beefier CPU. I have been looking at the Xeon 5650's and they look pretty inexpensive compared to a MOBO, CPU and MEM change. But at the end of the day would it be worth it?

So many choices and so little knowledge on all my options. I would want to run at 4.0 at least. I have updated my RIG settings..

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchyFeely View Post

This is really good feedback, thank you all. I have been fighting with myself on getting the 4770K and upgrading the MOBO. I just wanted a beefier CPU. I have been looking at the Xeon 5650's and they look pretty inexpensive compared to a MOBO, CPU and MEM change. But at the end of the day would it be worth it?

So many choices and so little knowledge on all my options. I would want to run at 4.0 at least. I have updated my RIG settings..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-review-discussion-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside

the xeon will OC higher.like 4,8GHz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts