Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know, this board has a very large heatpipe and other components near the pipe that make it very difficult to pin down a good heatsink

Right now I'm using a zalman 9500 which keeps me at 48-50c maxed out [this is at near stock speeds] and at 3.6ghz will max out around 57-60c.

Is an upgrade worth it? If so do any fellow 1156/p55-gd80 users have suggestions for an air cooler [silence is preferred but not demanded]

Any/all help is appreciated!

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Hyper 212+ would perform better than your z9500. It's a super cheap upgrade ($25~30) and performs so much better (beats out $60 dollar coolers) than it's price and will definitely fit your mobo (cousin has the same mobo and uses hyper 212+).

• Rep+
Reactions: xPrestonn

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus
View Post

Hyper 212+ would perform better than your z9500. It's a super cheap upgrade ($25~30) and performs so much better (beats out $60 dollar coolers) than it's price and will definitely fit your mobo (cousin has the same mobo and uses hyper 212+).

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out. I feel a bit dumb for some of my purchases at the time of building, I was much more of a novice. I had the money to go for a better video card and passed it up thinking the 5770 would run things @ max, [fixing that issue as well] and was also suggested that zalman cooler which I am not very satisfied with.

+R

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Well my proc is a heat monster and I live in a tropical country but the 212+ can handle it easily.

If I'm able to hit 3.6 Ghz @ 1.4 volts you should be able to hit 3.6~3.8 GHZ easy since it takes less volts to OC your proc versus mine.

Of course I'm assuming your proc can be OC'D to that level, remember each CPU is made differently and OC'ing differs from chip to chip.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus
View Post

Well my proc is a heat monster and I live in a tropical country but the 212+ can handle it easily.

If I'm able to hit 3.6 Ghz @ 1.4 volts you should be able to hit 3.6~3.8 GHZ easy since it takes less volts to OC your proc versus mine.

Of course I'm assuming your proc can be OC'D to that level, remember each CPU is made differently and OC'ing differs from chip to chip.

I've taken it to 3.6 before and didn't really like temps. 3.8 should be entirely feasible if this thing cools like you're saying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts