Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm looking for some direction, my original intention was to run my i5 750 build for my purposes, but as that generation of ITX boards was rather lackluster in the overclocking department, and left a lot to be desired, I was unable to do so... and that box pretty much just serves as a NAS now. I'm planning on using the ITX box as a HTPC with some oomph, I want to be able to emulate as many legacy consoles as possible. In order to do this, I will require around 4.5ghz and some decent memory bandwidth (higher is always better though) I figure I will go with an i5 since ITX boards tend to have issues overclocking due to power delivery restrictions. From there I would like to go with some DDR3-2000 or DDR3-2200. I will be using a handful of different gpus and seeing which works best in the configuration with the emulators (GTX 280, 295, 450, 460, and a Radeon 6950 [Worst purchase I have ever made, as it only works every 2-3 times I do a fresh install of windows not sure if its hardware or driver issues but it sucks]). Anyways, now you know what I plan to do with the system aside from standard HTPC tasks.

I'd like to go Ivy Bridge for this build for a lot of obvious reasons, but I'm not sure which ITX boards on the market right now handle overclocking with any sort of decency. For example, I currently have an H55-ITX WiFi by Zotac, which has a terrible BIOS, and horrible power delivery to the CPU and I'm only able to top this i5 out at about 3.5ghz, and then my memory frequency tends to be the limiter because I can't deliver enough power to both the ram and the processor to go any higher... (I'm topping out at like 1.3v on a good day, and 1.6v on the ram, even with loosening up the timings the bugger just seems to be unstable, same ram/proc in a different board easily achieves 4.0-4.2ghz stable at 1866 6-8-6-24) I'm out of the loop for Ivy Bridge so far, so I'd like to know, whats good, whats not?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts