Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

At my office we will be needing 7 new work stations. I came up with a possible build. Please let me know if it looks good or what you would change.
It will be used for basic word documents, internet work, moderate business applications etc. Keep in mind this is VERY budget orientated. The total for the current setup is ~$335 without ship/tax.

CPU: E2180 or E5200? Will it be a significant difference for only using above mentioned applications?

Mobo: MSI P31 NEO-F I have a E1200 paired with a MSI P35 NEO-F working great. I'm sure the P31 would be just the same? Has GREAT price

PSU/CASE: Antec 300/Antec Earthwatts 500W - Both solid and great price on newegg combo.

H.D.: Western Digital 160GB SATA - cheapest sata I found, also don't need anymore space.

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2X1gb - cheapest I found on newegg. Should work great

GPU: MSI 8400gs - nothing special, should be almost overkill for any video/pictures/java applications etc.. $30 fyi

CD-Drive: - Already have

HSF: Stock Intel from Retail box

Theral compoundm: MX-2 Already have

I am mainly concerned about which CPU to choose and if the MSI P31 will work flawlessly for either CPU choice.

Input appreciated!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Go with the E5200, its got a high multi so you can get an easy overclock on restricted budget boards. And the difference between 1mb and 2mb cache is acauly quite high compared to say 2mb and 3mb's difference.

EDIT: antec 300 ftw

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
since its a workstation u wont be OCing rite and workstations dont need much power anyways? so just get the 2180 and y not get a G31 board so u can save some money on the display card

• Rep+
Reactions: nbrider88

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbrider88
View Post

Hi-

At my office we will be needing 7 new work stations. I came up with a possible build. Please let me know if it looks good or what you would change.
It will be used for basic word documents, internet work, moderate business applications etc. Keep in mind this is VERY budget orientated. The total for the current setup is ~$335 without ship/tax.

CPU: E2180 or E5200? Will it be a significant difference for only using above mentioned applications?

Mobo: MSI P31 NEO-F I have a E1200 paired with a MSI P35 NEO-F working great. I'm sure the P31 would be just the same? Has GREAT price

PSU/CASE: Antec 300/Antec Earthwatts 500W - Both solid and great price on newegg combo.

H.D.: Western Digital 160GB SATA - cheapest sata I found, also don't need anymore space.

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2X1gb - cheapest I found on newegg. Should work great

GPU: MSI 8400gs - nothing special, should be almost overkill for any video/pictures/java applications etc.. $30 fyi

CD-Drive: - Already have

HSF: Stock Intel from Retail box

Theral compoundm: MX-2 Already have

I am mainly concerned about which CPU to choose and if the MSI P31 will work flawlessly for either CPU choice.

Input appreciated!

CPU: Should go for E5200.
Mobo: Both P31 and P35 are Intel Barelake P35 chipset. P31 has similar OC as P35. Need to download the latest BIOS before you switch the cpu.
Case: Good combo.
GPU: There are several 2400pro 2400xt around $30 on egg.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Why not just combine the Mobo and GPU. You chose the P31($70) + NV8400GS($30-$40), Why not go for the new nv730i board ($120) same price range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131348

Really for what you're asking to do, any of these chipset will work:
G31 - G35
G43 - G45
Nv630i

I only suggested the 730i, because it supports the same features that the 8400GS does, which is CUDA and PhysX.

• Rep+
Reactions: nbrider88

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i say, if it is ONLY going to be used for those workstation tasks, then get whichever CPU is cheaper between the E2180/E5200. heck, why not just get a Celeron L (E1200 - Celeron L is what i call it)

combine the GPU and mobo as listed above.

you'd need an OS unless you're using spare copies you have, and otherwise everything looks fine...

oh, and FWIW i would stay away from MSI. crap support when you need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts