Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some other threads relative to my request, but there were some distinct diffences, so I figured best to post seperate,,,

My current MOBO Died (Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6). I primarily use my PC for combat flight sim DCS-A10c, and that is a real hog for power!
I have a budget of $1000.00 to do an upgrade. I am committing to an Intel i5 2500k CPU, I have a primary display 30" LCD, and a 2nd 23" touch screen, and planning to add a 3rd monitor via AMD Eyefinity. Win 7 64 Ultimate. The only parts I am shopping for within that budget will be:

-CPU (i5 2500k) (I also have an H60 water cooler)
-Motherboard (plan on over clocking a bit)
-Compatible 8 GIG of Ram
-SSD 80 - 120 GIG
-GPU (upgrading from ATI Radeon HD 5850)

My eyes have been bleeding trying to read thread after thread as to what the better choices would be for me for a stable i5 2500k overclock? I wouldn't mind some of these boards that allow you to click on software buttons and the motherboard overclocks without me having to go in and screw around with voltages etc. So my 1st hurdle,,, what motherboard? Here are a few that I have found of interest:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z w/ Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe w/ Corsair's Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM kit
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4
ASRock Z68 Pro3
Asus RoG Maximus IV Extreme
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I'd avoid those "auto-overclock" features if I were you, as I've heard far too many horror stories about them causing excessive voltage spikes. If you really want to push your 2500K to its full potential some manual voltage-tweaking is kinda necessary
tongue.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on features, i have narrowed my search down to these 3 boards so far:

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4/Gen3
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

I have dismissed these boards as options also based on features:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3
MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Pro3/Gen3
Asus RoG Maximus IV Extreme

Feel free to offer other suggestions, I have run into some confusion that perhaps someone can explain? I see these some motherboards that have back panel HDMI, Display Ports & DVI, yet they have no onboard GPU?? How does that come to be? I dont understand what they are used for? I seen a blurb here and there mentioning sandy bridge? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I was also trying to get some feedback on this

"I have run into some confusion that perhaps someone can explain? I see these some motherboards that have back panel HDMI, Display Ports & DVI, yet they have no onboard GPU?? How does that come to be? I dont understand what they are used for? I seen a blurb here and there mentioning sandy bridge? Thanks"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts