Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a new computer for a friend for no more than $1600 usd.

He'll be using this for 3d printing and some 1080p gaming and I don't think he plans on overclocking at all. What do you guys suggest for the following parts:

1. CPU
2. Ram
3. Motherboard
4. Power Supply
5. Video Card
6. Case
7. DVD Drive
 

·
New001
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
If he's just downloading models and printing and casual gaming at 1080p, a machine built from second hand parts for around $400-500 plus a current-gen mid-tier graphics card would probably do the trick.
Could probably get away with $800 for the whole build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
For a non overclocker just looking to 3D print and game a little, I think the R5-1500X with a decent B350 board would be ideal.

CPU - Ryzen R5-1500X - $189
RAM - 16GB GSkill Flare-X Ryzen Optimized Memory - $190
Motherboard - Asus B350 ROG Strix - $120
Power Supply - Seasonic Prime Pl 650W - $130
Video Card - GTX 1060 - $220
Case - Corsair 400C Midtower - $100

Total: ~$950

I'll let you pick out your DVD Drive. If you need storage get a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo.

People are going to balk at the 1500X because the 1400 is a better value for nearly the same performance when overclocked. The thing is, without an overclock the 1500X is your best bet because of the higher XFR boost.

People may critisize the motherboard as it's only a 4 phase VRM motherboard. Again, you don't need anything more than 4 phases if you're not going to overclock. However, even though there aren't many VRM's on this board they are very high quality and your friend will be able to do some slight overclocking should he choose to...especially because it's only a 4 core processor.

The GTX 1060 is overkill but well worth it.

The Seasonic Prime Ti 650W is also overkill but well worth it.
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Why spend $130 on a Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 watt when you can spend $50 less and get something almost as good
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189&cm_re=Seasonic_focus_plus_gold-_-17-151-189-_-Product

650 watt is more then twice as much as the system will draw under full load so thats pointless and a waste of money
Take those $50 and spend them somewhere else.
Several reasons:

1. A Ti PSU is technically more efficient than gold.
2. A higher wattage PSU puts you into a more efficient spot of the load/efficiency curve assuming full load.
3. You have the ability to upgrade to higher wattage components in the future such as AMD graphics cards or a higher wattage AM4 SKU.
4. Money is of minor concern for this user.

It's not a "waste of money" like you are so quick to falsely accuse.

Edit: I find it irritating that you make it a mission to personally criticize PSU selections in nearly every build request on this forum. The PSU I selected is more than adequate, and that's it. It's not a "waste of money".
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts
2 is wrong unless the system is under 100% load 24/7 which almost no system is

You should read this thread which explain it better then i can
http://www.overclock.net/t/711542/on-efficiency

In case you miss it here is a quote

So you should get a PSU the size so that your peak draw is around 50% of the PSU's load, right? No, not in most cases. Think: 90% of the time your computer will be idling, usually drawing only 75W-200W, depending on the computer. So you want your computer to be very efficient in that power range. Generally you want your idle power draw to fall into ~30%-40% of the PSU's rated wattage, and your peak power draw to fall into ~70%-80% of the PSU's rated wattage.

And that is why in short you should not massively oversize your PSU
Note that i said massively 100 watt does not matter all that much but spending $50 more for a little extra efficiency for such a system is still pointless

You could make a compromise and go with a Platinum rated Focus and that would still be $20-30 cheaper
 

·
Missing friends
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
1 while true, you WASTE money you will never get a ROI on. and we are talking about less then 5% efficiency difference, alot less....
max of 2%, 2%
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

2 again, true however you RARELY run at full load unless folding, mining, ect, other rare things. ( feel free to see this for more info)

3 how many people do? Few as well newer cards or components tends to med less power.

4 No, he had a budget see post 1. Less money WASTED is more money to spend elsewhere

unlike you shilka is watching out for the users best interests

Your wrong, sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
You just proved my point with your link.

It says, not halfway into the post, that inefficiencies peak around 50%. A 650W PSU puts him right in the middle there with the build I specced.

Furthermore, to address the three load points of 80+...the 80+ Platinum spec requires points of testing at 20%, 50%, and 100%. 20% load needs to be 90% efficient compared to the gold spec PSU you specified, 50% load is 92% efficiency compared to the 90% you specced, and 100% load is 90% effecient compared to the 87% you specced.

It's splitting hairs, yeah, but why do I have to make x number of posts justifying my selection through efficiency curves, electrical theory, and just plain logic when it's obviously a great PSU for the user? I appreciate your input, but to come in and say "that's a waste of money" is false and misleading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

1 while true, you WASTE money you will never get a ROI on. and we are talking about less then 5% efficiency difference, alot less....
max of 2%, 2%
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

2 again, true however you RARELY run at full load unless folding, mining, ect, other rare things. ( feel free to see this for more info)

3 how many people do? Few as well newer cards or components tends to med less power.

4 No, he had a budget see post 1. Less money WASTED is more money to spend elsewhere

unlike you shilka is watching out for the users best interests

Your wrong, sorry.
Fine. OP can get the smaller one. I picked a great PSU and if you want to point out that it's not ideal fine. Waste of money? No, it's not.

Edit: If you want to talk about wastes of money you should probably start with my 1500X spec instead of 1400. I'm surprised nobody jumped down my throat for that. Guy has $1600, I'm sure he's okay spending $50 more on a bigger, better PSU.
 

·
Vandelay Industries
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Why spend $130 on a Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 watt when you can spend $50 less and get something almost as good
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189&cm_re=Seasonic_focus_plus_gold-_-17-151-189-_-Product

650 watt is more then twice as much as the system will draw under full load so thats pointless and a waste of money
Take those $50 and spend them somewhere else.
Try here Seasonic Focus Plus 550w gold full modular $60
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post

Try here Seasonic Focus Plus 550w gold full modular $60
I was looking at newegg only but yes $60 is a great deal so thats $70 saved which can be better spent somewhere else
If there is a budget dont blow the whole budget on something really good but totally unnecessary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

I was looking at newegg only but yes $60 is a great deal so thats $70 saved which can be better spent somewhere else
If there is a budget dont blow the whole budget on something really good but totally unnecessary
I agree that's a better PSU for him, especially at $60. I still won't concede that a larger better PSU is a waste of money though.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top