Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time building a PC from scratch so I'm pretty unsure on everything. It will be used mainly for gaming, and I'm also hoping that it will last me for a while. I've already got a case, a 500w PSU, and a 9800GTX that I want to use, and I'm leaning more towards Intel than AMD as far as CPU's go. I was thinking of getting an E7400 with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, but I was confused on what kind of memory would be compatible with that mobo? Is there something better that I can get for about the same price? Also, what would be a good choice for a hard drive, or does it not matter horribly?

·
FS19 Addict
5,392 Posts
Nice parts so far for RAM I suggest something from Corsair, G Skill, Kingston, Mushkin, or Crucial. 2-4GB of 800-1066mhz should be plenty for a while.

What OS will you use if 64-bit go for a 4GB kit.

For HDD that really depends how much you will put on it. I suggest getting a SATA drive with about 500-750GB of space should be good for games if that's all you will put on there.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
What's your price range?

Also consider what OS you'll be using, too. Read that Vista will be seeking more on your HD, so most recommend a 32mb cache variety. So if you don't have a 3.0g SATA drive with a 32mb cache and going to Vista (and/or Windows 7), get one, as it may help on wear and tear of your HD investment.

If your system will be cobbled together will other parts, and you will be using older software, don't get the 64bit version of an OS, either (.dlls and more may not work).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for spend $300-$400 on these parts, and am planning on going with a 64bit OS. I'll probably be running Windows XP, since I already have it and I don't quite want to go Vista yet. The parts I already have are fairly new (under 3 months?) so I don't think there should be a problem there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far~.

Edit: Actually, I have access to a beta version of Windows 7. Is this at all practical to try out and use? Would it require a lot more than if I were to run Vista?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Think of Windows 7 like XP was for Windows 2000.

I got Vista Ultimate 64, as I wait for the first SP1 before upgrading OSes. Leaving the hair pulling for others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.