Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at swapping out some old hardware (Dual Socket 604 Xeons) for a new build to cut power consumption and noise levels. I know there will be a decent performance boost as well, but that's to be said of any possible upgrade.

I'm looking at this so far:
ASUS M4A77D Motherboard $80
AMD Athlon II x4 630 $95
2x2GB G.SKILL DDR2 RAM $75

Total after tax: ~$270

I plan on using 2xPCIe Gigabit NICs to get the needed 3 NICs for the Untangle side of this build. I also already have HDDs, ODD, case and PSU I'm going to be using.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a different mobo/processor combination that would yield the same, or better, performance - and the same, or lower, price. Most likely I'll be using the JBOD RAID function and just adding drives over time, and I figure 2GB of RAM for the Untangle VM will be plenty for my house (3-6 PCs at any given time using the internet connection)

I'm also wondering if running Server 2008 R2 vs. WHS would give show any practical differences.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
So I'm looking at swapping out some old hardware (Dual Socket 604 Xeons) for a new build to cut power consumption and noise levels. I know there will be a decent performance boost as well, but that's to be said of any possible upgrade.

I'm looking at this so far:
ASUS M4A77D Motherboard $80
AMD Athlon II x4 630 $95
2x2GB G.SKILL DDR2 RAM $75

Total after tax: ~$270

I plan on using 2xPCIe Gigabit NICs to get the needed 3 NICs for the Untangle side of this build. I also already have HDDs, ODD, case and PSU I'm going to be using.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a different mobo/processor combination that would yield the same, or better, performance - and the same, or lower, price. Most likely I'll be using the JBOD RAID function and just adding drives over time, and I figure 2GB of RAM for the Untangle VM will be plenty for my house (3-6 PCs at any given time using the internet connection)

I'm also wondering if running Server 2008 R2 vs. WHS would give show any practical differences.
Me confused

You want to run Untangle on the system as a virtual machine, and you want to know if Server 2008 R2 or WHS is better as the host OS?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
For your home network 512MB will be more than enough for Untangle. 2GB would allow 200+ users.

What else do you want the server for? If it's just for file storage & Untangle then you don't need a quad - drop to a dual core and save money/power.

I also wouldn't buy DDR2 - DDR3 is similar price, but may be re-usable if you repurpose this kit in few year's time. DDR2 will likely be useless then.

I also wouldn't use JBOD in the BIOS - just attached the drives in SATA (ie non-RAID mode) and let the OS deal with them separately.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
You want to run Untangle on the system as a virtual machine, and you want to know if Server 2008 R2 or WHS is better as the host OS?
I'm meant in the scope of ease of maintaining it as a file server, which would be more practical.

Insomuch as while I know WHS would be easier to manage, is there anything I'd be missing from it that I'd have in Server 2008 R2 that would be of great use that WHS lacks? Or vice versa.

Quote:
For your home network 512MB will be more than enough for Untangle. 2GB would allow 200+ users.

What else do you want the server for? If it's just for file storage & Untangle then you don't need a quad - drop to a dual core and save money/power.

I also wouldn't buy DDR2 - DDR3 is similar price, but may be re-usable if you repurpose this kit in few year's time. DDR2 will likely be useless then.

I also wouldn't use JBOD in the BIOS - just attached the drives in SATA (ie non-RAID mode) and let the OS deal with them separately.
I'm not sure as of yet what else it would be used for - but knowing me I'd want to use it to tinker around with stuff - for example I may occasionally want to host a game server for a LAN party on it.

Any particular reason for the strike against JBOD? I've never had any problems with it in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Unless you want to use multiple game servers and have heavy internet usage at the same time while running full UTM on the server a dual core will be fine.

Server 08 has a few advantages - 64 bit support for more RAM is probably the only one that would really be of use to you though (as Untangle is not supported under Hyper-V).

WHS has built in software to backup all the (Windows) clients on your network. It also has a great replacement for RAID/JBOD that allows multiple drives to appear as a single volume, and allows you to select certain folders for automatic duplication on multiple drives for protection against drive failure.

The main problem with JBOD results from drive failure. You have no control over where your files end up, and if a drive fails you lose everything on it. If files are fragmented across multiple drives, you lose them as well. It offers no performance benefit, yet can cause issues, so IMO there is no point using it.

• Rep+
Reactions: TurboTurtle
1 - 5 of 5 Posts