Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this site exhaustively for a few days now to get a list together of new parts I'll eventually be buying for my rig. As it stands I've a few months still until I can start replacing my case and power supply, so I need a few tips. I've redone all the cabling, which dropped my average idle temp a good 5C, but it still feels dangerously hot.

As well, I've been running without the side panel on the case, as it seems to increase my idle temp rather than dropping it. This seems dangerous and counterproductive, so I'm wondering if maybe I should dremel out a new fan slot or vent into the side panel? Also due to case design backpanel ports break open, so I've got three open slots in the back panel. Should I improvise a way of closing those, or is that not a concern? Including pics of everything.

Prior to reading posts on cabling:

Post re-cabling:

Side panel on:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those open expansion slots should increase cooling, assuming you have a powerful exhaust fan.
Add an intake fan to the front of your case, by your hard drives, that should get more cool air into the case. That rear fan, by your psu, might need an upgrade to something with a little more umpf to get more warm air out.
I see you installed a squirrel cage blower, that should help as well.
What are your temps anyways?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is more crowded than I'd like, first thing on my list of new purchases is a way better case. There actually isn't an intake fan on the front, though there is a passthrough grill so I just need to buy a fan and mount it onto that or try to tear one off an old case for now. Side panel fan appears to be ~80mm and exhaust, the real question is whether to widen that hole/grill to put in a bigger side fan or just cut an entire new hole to position a second fan over the video card?

Forgot to post temps -
CPU - Idle - 35C
- Full Load - 43C
Case - Idle - 39C
- Full Load - 48C
Video - Idle - 59C
- Full Load - 85C
HDD - 44-46C
Ambient (Room) - 22C

I haven't started overclocking anything, but I've heard good things about getting my X4 630 cranked up on stock cooling, I'm very concerned this case is less than even 'stock' cooling.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Look into the Scythe Slipstream 120mm fan, it can get up to 110cfm at 1900RPM with a 10% variation.http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16835185060. It will help getting the hot air out of the back of your case, and you should look into a intake fan to get a good push/pull setup going.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I wound mount a larger 120 mm fan in the from with a high CFM with @ low decibel level. then drill out the side vent to 120mm and put a low cfm can in there. I didn't see any fan's on the top of the case, and couldn't see what size of fans are on the back of the case other than the squirrel cage.

also if you filter your intake air the lack of dust build up will help reduce temps, dust acts as a insulator and reduces the sink to air transfer

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ya, you need to get a good intake fan on the front to help move cool air in.

Make sure you are using quality fans as well. Just because it is a 120mm fan doesnt mean its moving air well. Look into some good fans for both the exhaust and intake that have HIGH CFM and low noise. I have the Noctua's in my case and they work great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts