Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in the office section. Thought I might get some opinions here....

My work place is slowly moving towards a Sunray setup. But I am still using my old desktop and laptop. Both are IBM.

Desktop got a 3.0 Ghz pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM with 80 gigs of HD space.
Laptop is a thinkpad. Cannot remember exact specification at this time. But 1 GB RAM and 80 gig space.

I think the Sunray servers are running Intel Xeon 2.93. RAM and HD space is variable based on needs. I believe I can ask for 2 GB RAM and 80 gig HD space. I got space in a dedicated server for bigger files.

So....what do you think guys....make the move or not make the move?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Well it will obviously be faster, why not? Try it out if you can, then decide.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I am not sure of is I think you share the processor with a whole bunch of other folks. So it may not be as fast....not sure....

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Autocad or anything like that.

My work is mostly on MS Office and some .NET programming. A few proprietary software - mostly having to do with document management and print.

Are you saying fine with Sunray? Also wondering how many users on a sunray before it starts to drop performance...

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awaz
View Post

No Autocad or anything like that.

My work is mostly on MS Office and some .NET programming. A few proprietary software - mostly having to do with document management and print.

Are you saying fine with Sunray? Also wondering how many users on a sunray before it starts to drop performance...

Never tried it before, I have worked on administering thin clients and Citrix though. Generally it isn't too bad unless you are a "heavy" user (lots of windows and programs open at once), then a local workstation is recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts