Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so I bought this cool lookin' case that has bubble columns on the front of it, or at least I thought it did...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-017&depa=0

turns out that the bubble columns on the front are solid... not liquid. So the bubbles don't move, they're just air bubbles trapped in plastic. I didn't realize that until the case arrived. I'm thinking I'd rip out the current plastic tubes and replace them with liquid ones so that the bubbles move, just like the nightlights or the christmas light kind do. Only thing is, I can't find a tube that is 15 inches long, which is what I need. Does anyone know anything about bubble tubes, similar to this one:

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=82521B

what fluid is inside these tubes? Is it just water? And then what causes the bubbles? Is it some kind of special LED or heating element? Yeah, if anyone has any info at all, it would help!

Thanks
-J.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHHA, that's funny. Well, at least the color changing LED on the front looks really sweet. It's fun to watch if you get bored. Can you identify what pattern of colors it cycles through? I think it might be random....

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The "fluid" as you called it, for both the case in the first link as well as the lights in the second link is 100% acrylic (plastic)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
The "fluid" as you called it, for both the case in the first link as well as the lights in the second link is 100% acrylic (plastic)
Errrt. Well, okay, we've all seen something like one of these before right:

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/pr...41&CatalogID=1

One of those little light lights with the bubble tube? That's what I thought the front of the case would have, but instead it looks like all the PC ones are solid. I'd like to find a 15" liquid one if possible (which I doubt it is) or else make my own (much more likely). Anyone have any ideas how to make a 15 inch tall bubble tube? i.e. what fluid/lights to use, where to get tubing etc. I think I'd probably put an LED on each end and maybe hot glue them in. Some acrylic tubing should be easy to get, but what kind of liquid is in there and what kind of light makes the bubbles?......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ya my friend has a case like you do. The liuquid inside of the tubes that the bubbles move is some sort of gel. Its not water because water wouldn't have bubbles moving lol. I think you can buy them on ebay though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For all who are interested, I emailed NOMA, the world's largest manufacturer of bubbling christmas lights. Here is their reply:

Bubble lights were invented in 1936 by Carl Otis and licensed and distributed by Noma from 1945. These items became incredibly popular in the 1950's and there is still a huge interest in them.

Bubble lights are very rarely manufactured now (if at all) because they are deemed to be somewhat 'dodgy'. The liquid used to create the bubble effect can stain fabrics badly and consumers, despite very clear warnings, have accidents or, sometimes, do not handle the product with enough respect. Companies are now reluctant to market the product because of claims on them for damage so it looks like the whole product line will all-but die out.

We have not sold Bubble Lights in the U.K. for (probably) thirty years

There is a very good American collectors web site containing some great pictures of old Bubble Light sets.

-----------------
then I also contacted the author of the website NOMA referred to, and he wrote:

Thanks for your note. The technical information you need to learn how to make bubbling lights is here: http://oldchristmaslights.com/bubble_lights1.htm

I don't believe that acrylic or any type of plastic tubing would work, as the methylene chloride used in the tubes would react with plastic. Glass would be the only way to go.

If, after reading all of the technical stuff on the above referenced page, you have more questions, please let me know!
----------------------

so in conclusion, methylene chloride is the fluid used. And the lights are just normal christmas light bulbs as far as I can tell. More to come....

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
all the computer stuff youve looked at doesnt move... there are, however, case windows that are available that actually have plastic fish and moving water with bubbles in them... Ill have to find them later... Im going to my local computer shop to look around and they used to carry exactly what Im talking about, I would think they still do... Ill get the name for you if I can

anyway, if youre THAT intent on it you could go to a pet store, walk to the aquatics section and find a small air pump package, corner filter or a gravel filter... then look around for some plastic tubing there as well, or go to an auto store or hardware store for that, and setup a pseudo aquarium with the tubing instead an actual tank

what you wanna do is possible just tedious, youd have to be quite careful with the system, computer system and psuedo aquarium

I work at a petstore so yes, you can find all that stuff in the fish department

1 - 9 of 9 Posts