Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right area. I have an HP XW8000 here with dual processors. I'm trying to run super pi on it to see just how fast this thing is, but I can't get it to process at 100%, it's only at 25%. What's going on??

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
SuperPi only uses one single core. Thus, if you run it on that dual CPU rig (assuming two cores per CPU), it will only use one out of four cores. Thus a 25% load. (or 100% load on one core if you assign it to that core). If you want a 100% load, run four instances.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that makes sense; but how will I get an accurate count? Will the two instances work together?

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>SoBe8503</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Ok, that makes sense; but how will I get an accurate count? Will the two instances work together?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
No.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Are you just trying to load up the cpu to stress test or something? Or are you trying to bench mark with super pi and want to use 100% of cpu power to calculate, but its only using 25%?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>pbasil1</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Are you just trying to load up the cpu to stress test or something? Or are you trying to bench mark with super pi and want to use 100% of cpu power to calculate, but its only using 25%?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I have a "Lab" machine here at work that they gave me. Looked in it and found two hyperthreading processors. I was drooling over it so i wanted to benchmark it. I know there's better benchmarking systems out there, but I wanted to start out with Super PI. Becasue of the hyperthreading dual processors, it's only using 25% of its potential.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>SoBe8503</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I have a "Lab" machine here at work that they gave me. Looked in it and found two hyperthreading processors. I was drooling over it so i wanted to benchmark it. I know there's better benchmarking systems out there, but I wanted to start out with Super PI. Becasue of the hyperthreading dual processors, it's only using 25% of its potential.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
It only says 25%, because of 2 actua;l cores and 2 virtual. It is really using 100% of that specific cpu, so you are benchmarking it correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts