Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!

I currently own a 550watt HEC Win Power PSU. I got it three years ago when I assembled my core2quad build. Its not 80 plus rated or anything but it has powered my 8800GT before all up to my current specs with no problems.

I am planning to buy a new mid range graphics card possibly in the new range of graphics cards from Nvidia that is rumored to come out possibly this year. If those are too expensive maybe I will get a 560 by the time price lowers because of the new releases.

I am not so sure if I have to get a better power supply to prepare for that. I am actually not even sure if the HEC Win Power can support a 560.

The psu I have supposedly is "SLI ready" as what the box says. I don't know the truth in that as I have not used SLI before. I understand though that the 560 and other boards have two 6-pin power connectors required. The psu I have indeed has two 6-pin connectors but they are on the same cable. That adds to my worry since I am not sure if that one cable with two 6-pin connectors can power a single card. Some people have said it is OK to use one cable for the two 6-pin power connections required for a single card.

I have posted this same question as an add-on to some of my other threads but not as a main concern as I am doing now. Some people have advised me that I don't need a new psu yet and my psu can power a 560. But I am not sure if they are aware that this is not a brand new Win Power. Maybe they are referring to a new release of the same Win Power series from HEC - I don't really know.

So I am looking for expert advice if I need to buy a new psu or not. I am hoping I don't have to buy a psu yet since a rated psu is so expensive. I would also like to understand how to compute and estimate for psu requirements.

Thank you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
That's not a good PSU at all, but you won't stress it in any way.. you should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post

That's not a good PSU at all, but you won't stress it in any way.. you should be fine.
This reply is exactly why I got confused.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogrran View Post

This reply is exactly why I got confused.
That is scientifically impossible as your confusion predates my reply..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,424 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post

That is scientifically impossible as your confusion predates my reply..
biggrin.gif
well not that literally. Your reply has some conflict to it. You say it is not a good psu but you also say it should be fine. I have read replies like this before, and I know that the psu I have is not a top notch psu. That's the reason why I said I am confused and the reason why I opened this thread.

Please give me an explanation as to why my psu should be fine even though it is a bad psu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by selectstriker2 View Post

Personally I would not use that PSU. If you are looking at a new one I'd look at one from the Antec High Current Gamer series like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048 . A good 550W+ unit will be able to support a newer card.
I doubt I will find that same antec 620 for the same price from where I come from. Almost everything is overpriced here from retailers.

I was hoping I can gather enough money to afford a semi-modular psu.

Anyway please provide me some details as to why my current psu cannot provide enough power and how does this new psu you recommended can provide it.
smile.gif
i hope it will not be too mathematical though. Just give me concepts for me to understand.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogrran View Post

biggrin.gif
well not that literally. Your reply has some conflict to it. You say it is not a good psu but you also say it should be fine. I have read replies like this before, and I know that the psu I have is not a top notch psu. That's the reason why I said I am confused and the reason why I opened this thread.
Please give me an explanation as to why my psu should be fine even though it is a bad psu.
smile.gif


It's an old, Passive PFC trashy PSU with a low 12v rating.. but your system with an added GTX 560 will max out to about 300W, and the unit should be able to handle that(for a while at least).

If you can buy a new PSU you should obviously do it.. in which case you should link the shop/s you'll be buying from and your budget in the local currency, this way you'll get the best suggestions.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top