Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a Surface Book to use for school. Seems to be the best fit. Although the i5 and i7 variants with the discreet gpu is almost a $800 difference. Is there much of a performance difference?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you need it for anything other than simple office suite use? If not, the i5 should be more than sufficient. I'm guessing the price difference is because the i7 version also includes a dGPU?

Edit: the i5 will also give you the best battery life.

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
I don't have experience with these, but I'd assume the i7 Is geared for those that heavily use photoshop or do other high end rendering and professional work.
I suppose it depends on your usage and school interest in how much you would need the i7 and/or dGPU.

If its just on the go use and anything major is done on a desktop or you dont have demanding software to run, then save the money and go with the i5 and likely also skip the dGPU, but i'd say be sure to get the larger storage size.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazon currently has the i5 with the dGPU listed for $50 more than Microsoft for same variant minus the dGPU. Currently have a Asus T100 that was suppose to be used for school but its sooooooooo slow. I just don't want to end up in the same boat regretting a purchase. I want to enjoy what I bought and I want to be able to use it for the rest of duration I have of school (approx 6 years) without having to buy something else. Sounds like I will end up going with the i5 variant and save some money. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts