Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to attempt to upgrade my computer. I don't quite have the money to buy a case, so I'm just going to stay with my Dell microATX case (plus it will be funny when people are saying, "Dude, Dell sucks", then I pwn their computer). I'm going with a the biostar TForce6100, as I have heard it is the best mATX board there is. I'm hoping to pair it with a AMD64 3200+, but if I find a good deal in the next few days (this is where you guys become all generous and offer your 3700+ at an extremely discounted price
) then I'll go with something better.

So, finally to my question. Has anyone swapped a Dell mobo out and put another mobo in? I'm just afraid Dell managed to make their parts non-compatiable with other motherboards. I'm still using the original HD and DVD drive. I probably will have to upgrade my power supply eventually (will a 300W even power a 3200+?). Thanks for helping take the first step guys!! lol

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you look at my case from the front, it opens from the left. I haven't paid much attention to other Dells, but as for as mine, it's from the left.

Has anyone or anyone you know done this operation before? Still kinda nervious that Dell my screw me over.....

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the money to buy a case, ATX mobo, CPU, and power supply. I'm getting this motherboard because it got good review and is suppose to be a decent overclocker, I don't care about the intergrated graphics.

How much power is recommended for the 3200+? I have 300W with [email protected], which is pathetic, but will it at least run until I do get a new power supply?

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the 5100 a microATX or ATX? If it's ATX, look to MSI or ASUS, I don't think DFI makes any boards that cheap. If it's mATX, go with the biostar TForce, thats what I'm getting.

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an aftermarket PSU with my dell mobo and I haven't had any "poof"ing. I haven't tried my dell PSU with any other mobo, but it looks to be a standard 24-pin PSU. Also, the RAM, I've tried it in other computers and it works fine, I also have aftermarket RAM running in my Dell mobo. So not everything is non-standard, but a bit below standard...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.