Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally gave in and plunked down a small fortune to get all my video work onto a proper storage solution.

First I ordered this:

Which is now sitting under my desk. Why? Well a few reasons:

1) Only 30MB/s windows share write speed
2) No stock iSCSI (But I did get it installed via 3rd party add on)
3) Old single core SPARC chip was getting creamed with several 3rd party addons (iTunes, large files, Subversion etc)

So I bit the bullet ... and I mean really bit the bullet and ordered two ReadyNas 6350 units (dual nics w/failover, dual core intel cpu , 1 GB DDR2 - upgradeable to 4GB, 6 Sata II native drive ports)

I also ordered 2TB drives for the whole lot ( 12x2TB in X-Raid2 aka Raid 5 w/ vertical & horizontal upgradeability for bigger drives)

These mofo's FLY!!!!

100 MB/s write speed over Gigabit lan
110+ MB/s read speeds

Thats MEGABYTES not MegaBits!!

I cant recommend these enough to anyone that has a business need. I store several terabytes of video production files and now finally have them abstracted from my sig rig in a proper fully redundant solution sporting the best of class in performance/redundancy/features and have 18.5TB of available storage on just these two boxes alone for every last darned thing I can think of.

Truly PHENOMENAL machines!!

The ReadyNas NV+ (which I still have and kept for system backups) is by far a rockstar for most ppl , but my demands on transferring butt-loads of data back and forth and the ability to have iSCSI ( basically appears as a hard disk over TCP/IP anywhere in the world) was invaluable. These little bastards rock some serious butt!

I'm sporting 2x12TB RND6350's & 1x8TB ReadyNas NV+ & 6TB Internal storage now and finally have no fears of my lifes work going up in a virus/power failure/mobo blow up
Very very very ecstatic with 38TB of raw storage that = ~ 32TB of useable storage in multiple raid configs.

Anyone in the market for this type of device... BUY IT.... Avoid drobo at all cost!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCh3F View Post
That level of redundancy must feel like a warm blanket.

Took years to amass this much data ... many more years to finally be able to afford storage that lets me sleep at night!

Its extreme for most users but this entire line of NAS products is
4 stars.

Even the NV+ which is like $350 on Amazon is a killer deal for anyone that has a need for storage apart from the sig rig that they tear apart weekly lol

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One last pic for size comparo's

Top: ReadyNAS NV+ ( 4x2TB Hitachi)
2nd: ReadyNAS Pro Business 6350 ( 6x2TB Hitachi)
3rd: ReadyNAS Pro Business 6350 ( 6x2TB Hitachi)

and NO IT WONT PLAY CRYSIS !

·
Master of Black Snow
19,342 Posts
OMG I think I just wet myself

Thanks for that.

~Ceadder

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I have the iOmega ix4, 4 drive setup. Not as fast but does support iSCSI, as well as time machine. Running RAID-5.

Came with 4x1TB, I will upgrade to 4x2TB as my requirements grow and costs fall. Can use green drives anyway, as it manages the power nicely only 14W idle, 40W in-use.
..a

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CryWin View Post
Do you plan on downloading OCN?
Wasn't planning on it but its nice to know if I needed to for offline browsing I could LOL

So far I sent 8TB to the lower unit and its rocking 100+ MB/s in both directions.

The top unit is building parity now so it takes about 6 hours to sync all the drives , 2 hours left to go on it.

Also setup the lower unit as an iSCSI target that my MacBook Pro is using for TimeMachine backups via WiFi and its slowly humming along at 802.11n speeds.

all in all pretty amazing units and really happy with them all.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
That stuff is pretty and I love great toys but I would never have the need for something like that.

You guys must have some tremendous storage needs or are you making some money with this stuff?

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Hippie
View Post

That stuff is pretty and I love great toys but I would never have the need for something like that.

You guys must have some tremendous storage needs or are you making some money with this stuff?

Its a storage archive for my video editing / production files and aldo for about 30,000 photos I've taken over the last 10 years. So in a word yes, these are not for e-peen but to archive a decade of work and memories.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I've deleted so much video that I really wish I still had online - again, mine is all on original DV tape, some even 8mm analog. I don't make money off mine, however.

My iPhoto album is up to 29,501 (just checked) but it's on my primary MacBook (with backups, of course!)

..a

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShtSh00ttr
View Post

Its a storage archive for my video editing / production files and aldo for about 30,000 photos I've taken over the last 10 years. So in a word yes, these are not for e-peen but to archive a decade of work and memories.

IC says the blind Old Hippie.

I have read about some monstrous home A/V systems that use a lotta storage and just wondered if that was your application.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

I've deleted so much video that I really wish I still had online - again, mine is all on original DV tape, some even 8mm analog.

I'm 57 and hopefully too old to acquire a video habit!

I have enough vices already!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
For that much... why not build your own file server?

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

For that much... why not build your own file server?

Good question as I considered that for about a month before pulling the trigger on these.

1) Portability , these in comparison to my BX5a speaker in the pics are very small and house 6 drives each.

2) Power consumption; ~40W. Trying to be somewhat green.

3) XRAID2 (Raid5 + vertical expandibility to grow when larger disks are avail.)

4) Linux OS w/no Windows bloat overhead or BSOD

5) Performance 100MB/s is class leading performance.

I considered buying mini ITX boxes but there were none I could find that had 6 bays (except one with 6 week delivery time from Asia) + costs of mobo, cpu, memory, controllers etc. The cost would have been pretty similar but lacking warranty for the device of disaster recovery.

My original thought was to build an OpenSolaris box with ZFS but the cost, lack of support and in reality yet another HCL to deal with and another towering machine heating my den was too much for me to want to deal with.

These are small, light-weight and can be tossed in a backpack or under my arm in the case of a fire lol.

And I did actually have a near clone of the sig rig I used for that purpose just w/o the same GPU for a long while but the size, heat output, and OS administration was annoying the hell out of me. Also with this setup I know am pulling 750W from the wall with sig rig + these devices under normal/idle usage where previously I was pulling 1kW! At load I am finally under 1.5kW

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PickledStiff
View Post

18+ TB? That's a lot of pr0n.

Do you really need to put pr0n on a RAID array...?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.