Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently at 3.9Ghz and was wondering if increasing CPU speed will improve performance (noticeably)with my cards? I think that I am pretty close, but would like to get the most out them. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you're getting 60fps minimum I doubt you're going to see the difference.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
You're under water. Go for 4.2ghz.

3.9ghz probably isn't going to bottleneck it, but why not go higher? lol

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterFire View Post
If you're getting 60fps minimum I doubt you're going to see the difference.
Thanks for the kind words. I am a visual whore so to speak, so ALL of the eye candy gets cranked when I play. At that point, maintaining a constant 60fps at 1920x1200 can be a challenge.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I am a visual whore so to speak, so ALL of the eye candy gets cranked when I play. At that point, maintaining a constant 60fps at 1920x1200 can be a challenge.
If you are having issues keeping 60+ FPS in any game with that setup and a constant 3.9ghz+ then something is wrong. (not including Crysis..obviously).

My CF 5850's and 4.0ghz i7 920 pretty much never dips below 60 in any game except Crysis, and that is at 1920x1200 fully maxed.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
You're under water. Go for 4.2ghz.

3.9ghz probably isn't going to bottleneck it, but why not go higher? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1P5AW View Post
True-What are your temps at?
Well I had it at 4.2 with my old set-up (tri sli gtx 280's) because one, I couldn't get it any higher stable (it's a CO) and from some research, that was the sweet spot for that set-up.

I don't really want to go any higher then necessary because it takes a considerable amount of voltage to exceed 4Ghz stable and I won't notice a .3 increase in daily usage.

I haven't done any proper stability testing at this speed so I can't really comment on temps. They'er plenty safe when gaming etc though.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
If you are having issues keeping 60+ FPS in any game with that setup and a constant 3.9ghz+ then something is wrong. (not including Crysis..obviously).

My CF 5850's and 4.0ghz i7 920 pretty much never dips below 60 in any game except Crysis, and that is at 1920x1200 fully maxed.

Even with 16AA enabled in CCC?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Try running 5760x1080 with everything cranked and get a nice 60fps. The only game that dips under 60 alot for me is crysis and it doesn't not run at 5760x1080 for some reason, i have to run it at 1920x1080.

I say go for the increase in cpu clock. I have noticed a difference between 3.9 to 4.2 with my own chip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts