Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

So I'm very concern with the way this pump has been working since I installed it,

I just entered into liquid cooling for the GPU, total begginer in this, I make the whole thing by watching tutorials and whatnot, and at first everything run perfectly, but then I begin to notice some strange stuff going on with the pump.

The pump has 2 connections as many of you may know, one that goes directly to the PSU and other for the MB, Instructions tell me that I dont need to plug the 2 of them, it just says that if I wanna plug it to the power supply alone, it would work at its default maximum and if I plug it to the Motherboard, I can regulate its speed.

So obviously for the loop filling, I used an external power supply by pluging it and unpluging it, since there I noticed little weird response for the pump, it didnt started pumping the coolant right away after pluging it, it always took between 20 sec to even 1 minute after pluging it, since it was my first time dealing with a pump, I thought that should be normal or something, taking a while to start but even thou a minute seemed like too much for me.

Then after all that was done, the system was bleed and everything, I decided to unplug the PSU connection and just plug the Motherboard one, by doing this, the pump never started, the card started heating up preety quickly and I had to turn off the system, I have the Asus Rampage III Extreme, my PSU its a 750W ThermalTake, I havent had trouble with any of those components in the past, its been almost 2 years since I got them.

Then I was like, well f*ck the MB connection, I'll just plug it directly to the PSU and leave it like that... Well, it worked, and I was preety happy with temperatures and everything, until one day that I turned on the system and the pump didnt start, this was aprox 3 or 4 days after installation. I was preety worried and turn it off, wait a while, turn it on again, didnt start, then I turn it off again, unpluged it, plug it to a different PSU cable, turn it on... Didnt start, Windows started on full, it got to the desktop and everything was loaded, and the pump still didnt start, Then I thought, well, maybe it turns when the card needs it... (kinda silly but didnt know) And I run Crysis... I just saw the temperatures going beyond 70 degrees, and I stopped it right away, then it cooled down around 50 degrees but the pump wasnt working at all, then I turned it off again, wait like an hour, and turn it on again, same thing.

After like another hour of the system working without the pump, with a somewhat stable GPU temperature of 54°C While I was totally pissed and into frustration, the pump suddenly started working, and it kept working for the last 2 days, with the exception of a couple of times when I turn on the system and it didnt start right away, it took like 20 mins to start after the system turned on.

So I know by now that this its totally not normal, I bought this pump brand new from Jab-Tech.com, I'm very concern because my warranty might be voided by now, since I had to take off the pump's top cover in order to install it to my Koolance RP-401X2 Reservoir, and obviously I removed the manufacturer's sticker.

I want to believe that it doesnt has to do with the pump, that its something I'm doing wrong, like, the pump has to receive more power or something like that, I dont really know, as I said I'm a total begginer in this, I'm just guessing but I would expect some help around.

I cant accept I make all this investment in vain for having this kind of problems after less than a week of the installation so if any of you guys have a clue on what might be ocurring I'll really appreciate sharing your knowledge, since I'm preety concerned and desperate.

Thanks,

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos4 View Post

I decided to unplug the PSU connection and just plug the Motherboard one, by doing this, the pump never started
You can never unplug the PSU from the pump and expect the pump to work, the PWM fan connection does not feed power to the pump, so this is why your pump didn't work when you do this. It is meant to be "in addition to" the PSU to control the pump speed via windows.
Quote:
Then I was like, well f*ck the MB connection, I'll just plug it directly to the PSU and leave it like that... Well, it worked, and I was preety happy with temperatures and everything, until one day that I turned on the system and the pump didnt start, this was aprox 3 or 4 days after installation. I was preety worried and turn it off, wait a while, turn it on again, didnt start, then I turn it off again, unpluged it, plug it to a different PSU cable, turn it on... Didnt start, Windows started on full, it got to the desktop and everything was loaded, and the pump still didnt start, Then I thought, well, maybe it turns when the card needs it... (kinda silly but didnt know) And I run Crysis... I just saw the temperatures going beyond 70 degrees, and I stopped it right away, then it cooled down around 50 degrees but the pump wasnt working at all, then I turned it off again, wait like an hour, and turn it on again, same thing.
So at this point it's running straight off the PSU (full power) and it was working, but then randomly stopped working, and then randomly started again? If that's true, I'd assume there's a problem with the molex connector. Maybe take it apart, or look and see if it's connecting properly. Maybe try another molex connector can't remember if you tried that while reading your essay haha. If it doesn't work on any molex connector but works intermittintly I'd extpect the pump molex, but who knows, maybe someone else will know
smile.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply man! (and for reading everything)

I didnt know the PWM was in addition to the PSU one XD, well I just turn it off, plug it to the PWM and turn it on again, its still working but the strange thing its that my EVGA Precision monitor isnt detecting that its pluged, it seems as it was no "fan" there.

Anyway thats not really important right now but yeah, Fortunatelly, it doesnt stops suddenly while the PC its on, when it starts working, it works fine 'till the moment I turn off the system, Problem is when I reboot or turn it off, and then on again, sometimes it fails to start, thats the strange thing. And well havent took apart the pump again to check the internal contact because it would be a pain to unfill the liquid loop, I prefer not to do that unless its absolutelly necessary, but still a good advice to have in mind.

I've test it on 2 molex plugs until now, has failed in both, and has run in both, right now running nicely and got a temp of 27°C

·
Registered
433 Posts
You sure you have it plugged into a pwm fan port? it has 4 pins instead of 3.

Also EVGA percision is for overclocking your GPU and also allows you to change the fan speed on the stock cooler. I don't belive it lets you control PWM fans as they're connected your motherboard, not you GPU. For that you'll need a program like qfan or speedfan, this will allow you to control the PWM fans and your pump.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
As already mentioned by jermzz, the pump's molex must be connected directly to the PSU.

I am also using the MCP35X pump. From my experience, I note the followings:-

(a) If the pump's PWM is not connected

When you boot up the PC, the pump should go to full rpm almost immediately as it receives power from the PSU. This will continue as long as the PC is up.

(b) If the pump's PWM connector is inserted into a PWM fan header (eg CPU_FAN) of the motherboard

When PC is booted up, the pump still goes to full rpm because it is not under the control of the motherboard yet. After booting up, the pump's rpm will drop (you can tell by the noise it makes) as the PWM function takes over.

I am using Asus Ai Suite/Fan Xpert to setup a custom PWM profile (ie the temperature vs rpm curve). In addition, as the pump is so silent at low rpm, I use Asus PC Probe II to display the pump rpm at my desktop to confirm that it is running.

I see you are also using an Asus motherboard and so you might do likewise.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've got 2 of those pumps on a RP402x2 reservoir.
Both of them start within seconds of receiving power, <5 sec.

Check the big 4 pin molex connector carefully, on one of my pumps the +12v pin isn't very secure and likes to push back in the connector when I plug it in.

If it isn't an electrical connection issue, as much of a pain as it is, I'd take it apart and make sure the impeller is not rubbing on anything, also pull the impeller out and look at the ceramic bearing to make sure it doesn't have any marks or goo on it or the impeller.
You can also try lubricating the bearing with some glycerin or silicon oil/grease, just a dab.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys! Tipless could be right, I believe the Pump's Molex might be having a false contact, it might have loosen a little bit on the constant molex pluging and unpluging for the filling process, not sure but could be a reason, most of the times it starts immediatelly just as windfire says, but seems like from time to time it doesnt, and it just randomly starts later on, or just doesnt starts at all.

jermzz: Yeah, its plugged to the CHA FAN 1 which is 4 pins. I noticed that it does appear on my sister's Ipod ROG iDirect, running around 4200 rpm, unfortunatelly I cant manage it from there =(

windfire: Thanks for remembering of those little programs, didnt remember them and yeah I believe I could manage my fans and pump there =)

Caleal: Nice detail for the molex... I will continue monitoring it, if problem persists I might have to open it and check that out as you said.

Does anybody know if taking off the top cover of that pump really voids the warranty in full regardless of having to do that for the installation in the Koolance reservoirs??

Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for all your replies guys! Tipless could be right, I believe the Pump's Molex might be having a false contact, it might have loosen a little bit on the constant molex pluging and unpluging for the filling process, not sure but could be a reason, most of the times it starts immediatelly just as windfire says, but seems like from time to time it doesnt, and it just randomly starts later on, or just doesnt starts at all.
jermzz: Yeah, its plugged to the CHA FAN 1 which is 4 pins. I noticed that it does appear on my sister's Ipod ROG iDirect, running around 4200 rpm, unfortunatelly I cant manage it from there =(
windfire: Thanks for remembering of those little programs, didnt remember them and yeah I believe I could manage my fans and pump there =)
Caleal: Nice detail for the molex... I will continue monitoring it, if problem persists I might have to open it and check that out as you said.
Does anybody know if taking off the top cover of that pump really voids the warranty in full regardless of having to do that for the installation in the Koolance reservoirs??
Thanks for everything!
HEY!! I mentioned the molex before anyone else did!! lol, just messin' with you dude. Report back when you get it fixed and let us know what it was.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tipless

That is exactly how the sticker is placed, so you can't remove the top unless you remove the sticker. (I have the same pump)

On my pump the sticker is already loose and doesn't connect to the top anymore, and i have never changed top on it..
the pump is no older than 3 weeks. so stickers do come loose on themself
thumb.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, lucky you I guess.. Mine was perfectly sticked to both parts, so I removed 100% of it, there's no even addhesive remaining now. ;P

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Something to check is whether the pwm and tach wires are oriented correctly. I had to switch my wires around because they were swapped. I've got three 35x btw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Guys!

Just for the record, I dont know, dont really makes sense to me, but I formated my PC, started all over as for software matters, and ever since I did that (like a week ago) the pump starts right away after turning on the system without any flaws, I've obviously been turning on and off the PC several times, as well as doing reboots, and the pump has always started right away as for now. I didnt alter anything that was done on the wiring or plugs, everything is just as it was before formating it... Any thoughts?

Btw, (Tipless) the pump warranty sticker is designed for not being able to remove without destroying it, so its totally destroyed by now and there's no way I can put it back for RMB in case something goes wrong again...

And Man, 3 35Xs... Thats insane! what are you pumping? a PC Fountain XD (Wanna guess they are on different systems =P )

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:

Hey Guys!
Just for the record, I dont know, dont really makes sense to me, but I formated my PC, started all over as for software matters, and ever since I did that (like a week ago) the pump starts right away after turning on the system without any flaws, I've obviously been turning on and off the PC several times, as well as doing reboots, and the pump has always started right away as for now. I didnt alter anything that was done on the wiring or plugs, everything is just as it was before formating it... Any thoughts?
Btw, (Tipless) the pump warranty sticker is designed for not being able to remove without destroying it, so its totally destroyed by now and there's no way I can put it back for RMB in case something goes wrong again...
And Man, 3 35Xs... Thats insane! what are you pumping? a PC Fountain XD (Wanna guess they are on different systems =P )
lol no i only have 2 in the system. i will be selling the other as 3 would be crazy lol. i have been told even 2 is too much but hey we are on OCN right? a bios setting controlling something could have been messed up. who knows... computers are strange sometimes

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The only reason why I'm considering running two MCP35X's is for redundancy and because there PWM controllable, if I purchased a second Laing DDC 3.25 18W pump I would have to spend another $74.99 dollars on a Koolance CTR-SPD24X2 Dual 24V Pump Controller, for that amount of money I could buy the dual MCP35X's with that awesome looking new pump top that comes with the dual kit pumps! I'll probably run both at 35-45 percent or perhaps run pump #2 a tad slower than pump #1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, this is OCN, everything its possible XD

Preety Nice Tipless, thats the same Mobo we got at the Office =p

but.. is it leaking? I cant trust buying smaller tubing in order to avoid fittings ;P I feel safer by watching some fittings holding the tubes in place, besides they are cool IMO =)

I'll be posting some night time pics for my system later, I just got the UV Cathodes =D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts