Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to build my PC in about a month, and I have decided to go for the Switch 810. I have some questions about airflow though, and I'm hoping someone can help.

Here is what I plan on doing. I will have a corsair H110 rad on top in pull config(maybe push pull later on), two front intake fans, three top exhaust fans, and a rear exhaust fan. Things in yellow I have questions about.

fig 1

Should I go for a blower type GPU cooling system or a non stock dual fan system? What will the dual fan system do to my airflow? I don't care about sound, but I will OC at least moderately, and the dual fans are supposed to be cooler.

Do I need a bottom mounted intake fan? Would it help with the above question?

Would it be bad if I set the angled fans to blow from left to right(towards the HDDs)? What would it do to overall airflow? (this option is mainly for aesthetics)

What I figure is if I put the inner fans facing my HDDs, I would need the bottom fan to get air to my GPU, but I don't know. And what if it were a dual fan system? If I understand correctly, those are exhausting fans, so wouldn't they be blowing hot air right at my psu/HDDs? Or do I misunderstand...

Anyway, this is what I want to do, but I don't know if doing this without the bottom intake fan would be a good idea,

fig 2

I assume that this would be the optimum but I still don't know if that bottom fan is necessary.

fig 3

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't do figure 2. the swivel fans blowing against the intake fans is a bad idea. You'll want more intake than exhaust, dust reasons predominantly.
The H110 is a 280mm rad so you will only need two slots filled at the top. I'd take figure 3 but then turn the back exhaust into an intake fan: colder air directly through the rad is
thumb.gif
(with a dist filter of course).

Option 2 (a little nonstandard but you might want to try it). If you only need 1 of the HDD cages you could put the H110 on the bottom 280mm mount as an intake, the top front fan as an intake, close the top vent of the 810 and only have the top back fan exhausting air. (put in the swivel fan to direct air to your GPU.

Regarding the GPU, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket cooler with 2 or 3 fans (i.e. the windforce 3x) since they are better and quieter than the reference coolers and the setup I suggested will help drive the hot air out of the case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you suggest something like this?

fig 4

If I did have the third top exhaust fan, with no part of the rad underneath it, would that cause problems for my radiator? And what about the bottom fan? Is it necessary at all? I mean, can you have too much airflow?
tongue.gif
The reason I would use the bottom fan is that it already has a dust filter. If I used either the top or back for intake, I would just need to grab a $5 one from amazon.

What if I turned the third fan on-top into an intake instead of reversing the rear exhaust? Would that have a similar effect?

fig 5

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd stick with figure 4 mate.

It's more about creating an air tunnel as it were. You can have a whole bunch of fans blowing air in different directions and it will just be loud and not cool effectively. Much better to have them complement each other and create a flow over the parts that you need. I hope I am making myself clear. Just visualize where each fan is blowing and try to create a flow in your case that takes cool air from the outside and blows it over the hot components and straight back out again.

You don't really need the top non-rad fan blowing air out, the two on the rad will do that just fine, but I'd cover the open slow with a filter just in case (I really hate dust, but I live in a rather small studio). I like my bottom intake to be honest with you. simply because it creates additional movement from bottom to top taking the hot GPU air away to the top exhaust (in your case the H110).

I think the top intake will mess with the flow which is not really what you want, even if it provides more air. But you can always do figure 4 with the top fan as an intake and compare your temps (and noise levels) to figure 4 with the top fan off. But stick with:

Intakes: Back x1, Front x2, bottom x1.
Exhaust: H110 only.
Swivel: both to direct airflow. (this is a really nice feature of the 810 in my opinion)

If you have the fans and the filters then nothing is stopping you from playing around a little!!! Gives you a nice afternoon pass time for rainy weather
thumb.gif

·
Jack-of-all-trades
1,755 Posts
Personally I won't do figure 4 because the hot air that gets dumped out of your case will be sucked back in by the exhaust. I'd still say figure 3 is the best because of the smooth airflow. You can get rid of the third fan at the top, I think it's unnecessary
thumb.gif

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethermir View Post

Personally I won't do figure 4 because the hot air that gets dumped out of your case will be sucked back in by the exhaust. I'd still say figure 3 is the best because of the smooth airflow. You can get rid of the third fan at the top, I think it's unnecessary
thumb.gif
Hmmm, this may be correct. I think he just has to try out a few configurations and see what gives him the best temps. Although I still stand by my suggestion/bet because
1) the setup you suggest will have two fans at close quarters pulling in different directions which will disrupt airflow and
2) I don't see how hot air (which rises in addition to already being in motion) will swoop back down around the back of the case and be pulled in unless he has a turbine back there sucking air in like no tomorrow

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats cool, I will definitely have to mess with them all when I get them. I am still a bit unclear about the third top fan though. I realize its not necessary, except to fill the big hole, but will it cause problems? Will it take too much air away from the rad, or will it maybe be balanced by the rear exhaust. It seems to me it could either help cool RAM(looking at the Sabertooth Z77) or cause the radiator to lose too much air. I can't imagine it would loose too much air though, considering the rear exhaust is next to the radiator anyway.

Also, since you have the switch 810, do you think the stock fans will work fine with the h110? They seem to me pretty all purpose, and are very cheap compared to replacement corsairs or other better fans.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethermir View Post

thumb.gif
I have to agree with this. I am actually planning on getting this case, hopefully in the next couple days and I think I will be setting mine up like figure 3. I'm still debating on the third top fan, I will probably use 2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had this case for a while now, I ran it with 4 x 140mm intake front/bottom, no exhaust for a while with good tempsand almost zero dust.
The only problem I see with figure 3 is a lack of positive pressure.
I suggest you try with top fans as intake (with added filters) and the rear as exhaust or no rear fan at all, you would still get good airflow and the added benifit of no dust.
The third fan on top as intake could give more cool air over motherboard.
You could also remove the bottom HD cage and add another 140mm.
So in total 7 x 140mm intakes, the rear of the case has many openings (perferations) so air out (exhaust) is not a problem.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Not an airflow expert but #3 is the closest to what I would set up in my Switch 810. It is a nice case, but IMO all the fans that come with it are terrible. It is great that you have so many options for 140mm fans in the case, but I couldn't take the stock fans for a second.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, positive pressure doesn't have to be a big deal considering the CPU is liquid cooled, and the MOBO has its own cooling fans. I think figure 3 will probably do what I want, however I will probably go without the bottom fan unless I just have extra $ left over. The third top fan I will keep to fill that third hole,as long as it doesn't cause any problems..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsrunner View Post

I've had this case for a while now, the only problem I see with figure 3 is a lack of positive pressure.
I suggest you try with top fans as intake (with added filters) and the rear as exhaust or no rear fan at all, you would still get good airflow and the added benifit of no dust.
So in total 7 x 140mm intakes, the rear of the case has many openings (perferations) so air out (exhaust) is not a problem.
thumb.gif
Assuming there are 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans, would intake fans with higher CFM be adequate for positive pressure or not really? I was planning on getting different fans for the intake and using the fans that come with the case for exhaust. I would also consider your suggestion of removing the bottom HD cage and putting in another intake fan.

Not trying to hijack this thread but since I plan on getting this case I'm curious.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, so you would do four intake fans(two bottom, two front) one on the swivel remaining and three exhaust fans?

I'm still curious as to how figure 5 would work. What would that circular effect do to the airflow? it seems to me that, since it is a radiator, the circular effect would be fine because it would still be adding a bit more fresh air, but I"m not sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsrunner View Post

I've had this case for a while now, I ran it with 4 x 140mm intake front/bottom, no exhaust for a while with good tempsand almost zero dust.
The only problem I see with figure 3 is a lack of positive pressure.
thumb.gif
The only thing positive pressure really does is help cut down or eliminate dust. It really doesnt do anything performance or cooling wise. With the dust filters on the front and bottom, the dust shouldnt be an issue with the top and rear fan blowing out. Having top fans pull inward is dumb(for lack of a better word) for this case and for 2 reasons

1) heat rises, the faster you get it out, the cooler the computer stays. 3 top exhaust fans will pull the heat out much faster then having just the rear fan being the exhaust
2) with 3 intake fans at the top all you are really doing is circulating hot air, the front fans pull in and push up if you have the inside fan on the angle, then the top fans force it back down to the bottom of the case and it just circulates unless you have some crazy 3000rpm rear fan sucking the air out

If it works for you, more power to you, but as for there being any positives to that setup, there really aren't any other then positive pressure to keep out the dust, which the dust filters do anyway

With that said. I have 5 top exhaust fans 4 on the Kraken doing a push/pull and then just 1 top exhaust, and 1 rear exhaust. I have 1 lower intake which has the dust filter, along with the 2 front which also have the dust filter. I have the 2 attached to the HDD case angle up also pulling in air from the front. I have 0 dust, and amazing airflow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a little thinking, and tried to make sense of the air flow with the different configurations. Setup 3 is definitely the simplest, but I am considering making the top 2 or 3 fans intakes to add more cool air to the system. I will have to run tests to see if it is better when the system is done.

fig 3 airflow

fig 3 alt airflow

If I tried it like mve1970 suggested, it would look something like this. Again, I don't think it would be a big issue, but I don't think having the intake there next to the exhaust would really be as big a help as having a streamlined airflow.

fig 4 airflow

This last one has a similar situation with one of the three fans ontop made to be an intake. I have no idea how this would work. I would love to see someone put these things in a wind tunnel or something so we could actually see the airflow.
biggrin.gif

fig 5 airflow

At this point, I will probably try out different setups, like mve said, on a rainy day, but I think I like 3 the best. 3 alt would work well too, but I might be backing the computer against a wall or something, so the top exhaust might be important to keep the system from sucking back in its hot air...and melting my wall.
whistle.gif

Edit: After reading Bobby's second post, I think the 3 alternate would be a bad idea. I didn't think about heat rising and it being faster for it to go out the top. Makes perfect sense, thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very cool! Thanks for the link.
thumb.gif

You know... I have one of those smoke machines... I wonder if it damages the components?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post

Very cool! Thanks for the link.
thumb.gif

You know... I have one of those smoke machines... I wonder if it damages the components?
Would love to see this applied too the Switch, Please do it!!!
biggrin.gif

But I think too much smoke could be bad on components.
redface.gif

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbeard View Post

Assuming there are 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans, would intake fans with higher CFM be adequate for positive pressure or not really? I was planning on getting different fans for the intake and using the fans that come with the case for exhaust. I would also consider your suggestion of removing the bottom HD cage and putting in another intake fan.

Not trying to hijack this thread but since I plan on getting this case I'm curious.
Yes I think it would work, but there really is no need to worry about exhaust fans, the pressure forces it out just as quick as you put it in.
IE: more inlet fans = more pressure = more outlet.

The other bonus I forgot too mention, when using a rad at the top and fans as inlet you are pulling cool air through the rad instead of the heated air when fans are set as exhaust.
thumb.gif

Oh and talking about convection (heat rising) in a case with 7 x 140mm fans is a mute point, it just dosen't get a chance too happen.
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts