Overclock.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
2,410 Posts
Yeah, just put the switch between the computers and the router. You shouldn't have to change anything else, maybe run the Network Setup Wizard. You may not even have to do that if you're already running through a router.

Just regular CAT5e cables.

· Banned
2,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire
What you mean is that you have a cable modem with one slot, and that is running to your computer. You WILL have to buy a ROUTER, not a switch, a switch will not work as it is a layer 2 device and is just a pass through, a router will forward DHCP which is what gives you your computer's IP address.
If this is true, disregard my first post. If it's just a cable modem, you do need the router for DHCP. I had the same problem, I was trying to connect through a switch straight to the cable modem. Didn't work. You've got to either have a router or a PC connected directly to the cable modem, and then the other computer connecting through the first computer using Internet Connection Sharing. That can be a pain, and isn't as secure as having a router with a hardware firewall. Getting a router is your best bet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.