Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading! I currently have an ASA 5505 and a layer 2 48 port gigabit Cisco Catalyst switch. The ASA is a bottleneck and I've already ordered a Ubiquiti 5 port POE Edge Router. I had installed a quieter fan in the Catalyst as it sits in the office across from my bedroom and with the OEM fan it was unbearably loud. It's also very hot and causes the room to heat up to a point where it gets uncomfortable compared to the rest of the house (well, all the electronics do). I'd like to replace it with something that draws less power, is cooler, and is quieter. at least 24 ports is a must. I'd really like to have POE as well. Right now I only have the one AP that needs to be powered, but eventually I'd like to install other devices such as security cameras.

The $300 price tag of the Ubiquiti 24p switch seems a little steep, but I'd be willing to pay for it if it was the best option. So other than that, I'd like to see what other kind of suggestions I get on here.

·
Typo Elemental
3,223 Posts
I am almost leaning towards the ubiquiti here. Like you mentioned, most of the Cisco options are heat machines, or are ungodly loud.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Last I looked there were no PoE switches in 16+ systems that did not have active cooling. YOu have to remember that each port can do something like 30 watts so 30wx24p is 720 watts possibly flowing through the switch. That is why you have loud, active cooling on these switches.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Unifi is great (I have the 16 port POE switch myself). Keep in mind you need to install the controller software somewhere (or use a Cloud Key) to manage it. Also keep in mind it's not a layer 3 switch so you can't do any interVLAN routing on the switch level, traffic is gonna have to pass back to your router in that scenario. If you need layer 3 features I would go with a used Cisco / Brocade / Juniper from eBay depending on the price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last I looked there were no PoE switches in 16+ systems that did not have active cooling. YOu have to remember that each port can do something like 30 watts so 30wx24p is 720 watts possibly flowing through the switch. That is why you have loud, active cooling on these switches.
My experience is that not all brands are as loud as Cisco. Non POE Catalyst switches are very loud. I've used Ubiquiti switches in the past that were not where near as noisy.

Unifi is great (I have the 16 port POE switch myself). Keep in mind you need to install the controller software somewhere (or use a Cloud Key) to manage it. Also keep in mind it's not a layer 3 switch so you can't do any interVLAN routing on the switch level, traffic is gonna have to pass back to your router in that scenario. If you need layer 3 features I would go with a used Cisco / Brocade / Juniper from eBay depending on the price.
I already have the controller on my server. I'm running a UAP-AC for my wifi. I didn't even think about them not being L3. I am using a Ubiquiti 5 port POE edge router, so I could always make that work. I was thinking about setting up a guest wifi VLAN.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
I already have the controller on my server. I'm running a UAP-AC for my wifi. I didn't even think about them not being L3. I am using a Ubiquiti 5 port POE edge router, so I could always make that work. I was thinking about setting up a guest wifi VLAN.
Nice! I have the EdgeRouter Lite -> 16 port UniFi POE -> 1 AC-Lite and 1 AP-Pro along with my hardwired stuff. I run the controller on a FreeBSD jail.

I have all my VLANs configured on the EdgeRouter including a guest network blocked from ALL internal ranges, and then two other VLANs. Firewall rules are setup allowing/denying access to different things and it was really straight forward with the EdgeRouter. I also have an IPSEC VPN with a preshared key back to my home network I can conveniently connect to from work or my Android devices :) I love the EdgeRouter and planned on EdgeSwitches, but got a good deal on the 16 port Unifi so just went with it and wasn't disappointed. Eventually I'll upgrade to the EdgeRouter 4 or successor to that. Maybe USG if they continue to increase the capabilities so I can light up all my bubbles in the controller lol

For most people, especially home users you don't need a L3 switch, but just wanted to let you know. A lot of people assume the Unifi switches are fully managed L3 but they're not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! I have the EdgeRouter Lite -> 16 port UniFi POE -> 1 AC-Lite and 1 AP-Pro along with my hardwired stuff. I run the controller on a FreeBSD jail.

I have all my VLANs configured on the EdgeRouter including a guest network blocked from ALL internal ranges, and then two other VLANs. Firewall rules are setup allowing/denying access to different things and it was really straight forward with the EdgeRouter. I also have an IPSEC VPN with a preshared key back to my home network I can conveniently connect to from work or my Android devices :) I love the EdgeRouter and planned on EdgeSwitches, but got a good deal on the 16 port Unifi so just went with it and wasn't disappointed. Eventually I'll upgrade to the EdgeRouter 4 or successor to that. Maybe USG if they continue to increase the capabilities so I can light up all my bubbles in the controller lol

For most people, especially home users you don't need a L3 switch, but just wanted to let you know. A lot of people assume the Unifi switches are fully managed L3 but they're not.
Most people aren't network engineers at their day jobs. ;)

Otherwise, I'd have a Linksys all in one and a rented Comcast modem and I'd be complaining about how bad the wifi was on the other side of the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts