Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey OC,

I switched to Fios today from cox cable internet and when the verizon guy came to activate fios internet or something, he inserted a thumbdrive into my desktop pc that was connected with an ethernet cable directly to the moded/router and then proceded to do run some program. What is this program that he ran on my desktop pc from his thumbdrive? I thought this was kind of odd. Anyone else with Verizion Fios internet had this happen to you?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey I work for the company and the software is something they use to activate your data account and help you create your verizon.net username and password they actually do this also so that you can agree to the terms of service on prior to using the service any software installed by this program is is something that can be removeTheThe only piece of useful software is something called the in home agent and that can be removed if you're not comfortable keeping it on the computer but it's basically use to fix potential issues that may happen to either your internet or tv or phone service and it's free. Sorry for the poor punctuation im actually to use in the voice to text on my galaxy nexus phone so it's not 100 percent perfect brought hopefully this makes sense

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by travva View Post

Hey I work for the company and the software is something they use to activate your data account and help you create your verizon.net username and password they actually do this also so that you can agree to the terms of service on prior to using the service any software installed by this program is is something that can be removeTheThe only piece of useful software is something called the in home agent and that can be removed if you're not comfortable keeping it on the computer but it's basically use to fix potential issues that may happen to either your internet or tv or phone service and it's free. Sorry for the poor punctuation im actually to use in the voice to text on my galaxy nexus phone so it's not 100 percent perfect brought hopefully this makes sense
100% accurate ( I was a tech )

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I got FiOS installed years ago. After they're done configuring everything they'll leave a file with all of your info with router password etc.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utterfabrication View Post

It was supposed to be joke, or an attempt at one... Maybe I was being to subtle.
maybe. i sure didn't get it... :-/

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
the best deicsion i ever made was leaving comcast and switching over to verizon fios. top notch service, imo. yea the bill is high as hell lol but its well worth it.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBEAU View Post

No one likes the taste of cox...
rolleyes.gif
doh.gif
*refills coffee cup*

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm1 View Post

the best deicsion i ever made was leaving comcast and switching over to verizon fios. top notch service, imo. yea the bill is high as hell lol but its well worth it.
thumb.gif
I wish I could get fiber out here. I would love to have 25 mbit up at home
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Indeed. Can't complain with 30 down, 25 up.
smile.gif
Consistent speeds too.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Indeed. Can't complain with 30 down, 25 up.
smile.gif
Consistent speeds too.
I'm hopeful maybe one day FiOS will get to my condo. People a mile or two away have it, but it hasn't gotten around to me yet. So verizon DSL i will stay on until FiOS gets here...
frown.gif

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been doing some speedtests with speakeasy and the past few days it was real fast, around 25-30 download/20-25 upload.

I tested it today since youtube was loading kind of slow, and the download speed was only aorund 15mb/s. Why is this?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Ya i wish i could say the same. Been with comcast for 5 years or so but over the last year i have been losing my net for 2-90 minutes everyday, sometimes multiple times. The only other option for me would be DSL from verizon; FiOS is not yet available yet because of successful lobbying by comcast (who has been sued for having a regional monopoly a few years back).... looks like i'm stuck with them until the next internet upgrade arrives.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCScrub View Post

Ya i wish i could say the same. Been with comcast for 5 years or so but over the last year i have been losing my net for 2-90 minutes everyday, sometimes multiple times. The only other option for me would be DSL from verizon; FiOS is not yet available yet because of successful lobbying by comcast (who has been sued for having a regional monopoly a few years back).... looks like i'm stuck with them until the next internet upgrade arrives.
i had that problem before i moved. comcast was the only provider in the area at the time. so when i started house hunting, i made sure that the next place i lived would have fios available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts