Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was one of the guys who stuck with xp for as long as possible but now that i hear good things about 7 i went ahead and installed the beta last night and it uses SIX TIMES the memory at idle.

this is for my sig rig. pretty much i need the equivilant ram to windows 7 that 3 gigs is to xp. would 4 be enough? 6? 12?

also i want something to take my fsb to the next level. im sitting linked 1600fsb to 800ram.....what would be the next step, 2000fsb/1000ram?

edit: i just looked at another post and stole his idea.....is this good ram? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231241

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104098

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
First off if you dont run the 64 bit edition of an operating system putting in more than 3.25 gb will NOT help you.

32 bit is limited by how many memory addresses it can allocate. Unfortuantely for the PC consumer, software is out with high memory requirements and the only operating systems that support over 3.25 gb are at times a nightmare for 3rd party driver support.

You may want a bigger power supply w/ that video card and watercooling.

Unless you are an EXTREMELY memory intensive user 4gb would be more than enough.

Vista WILL use more of memory idling along due to its inert design differences between XP. Vista is more than likely leaving operating system files in memory to run faster.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the water is an external radiator and pump

right now im using 64bit windows 7 beta and gaming performance isnt quite what it is in xp(i know its a beta)

so your saying i wont benefit from more than 4g of ram???

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Why do you care how much ram is used at idle as long as it gets freed up when you need it.

Also, you should read up on overclocking. There are no real "steps" when OCing CPU and RAM. You are not forced to stick to rated FSB speeds. (like 800, 1333, 1600 etc.) You can set whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yes--- To dralb you listen! haha ..

Seriously though, you can install 4gb into a computer w/o a 64 bit operating system. However you will only see and be able to use 3.25 of it..

Vista is actually supposed to keep a lot of stuff in memory. if you have say 8-12 gb you can have almost EVERYTHING you need in vista in memory for blazing access.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanRacer48
View Post

Yes--- To dralb you listen! haha ..

Seriously though, you can install 4gb into a computer w/o a 64 bit operating system. However you will only see and be able to use 3.25 of it..

Vista is actually supposed to keep a lot of stuff in memory. if you have say 8-12 gb you can have almost EVERYTHING you need in vista in memory for blazing access.

That would only be true if the OP had 768MB GPU. However the OP has a 512MB GPU so a 32 bit OS could use 3.5GBs.

A 32 bit OS can address 4GBs of RAM. However that includes the memory on the GPU, and sound card.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendaryC
View Post

That would only be true if the OP had 768MB GPU. However the OP has a 512MB GPU so a 32 bit OS could use 3.5GBs.

A 32 bit OS can address 4GBs of RAM. However that includes the memory on the GPU, and sound card.

And BIOS iirc.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendaryC
View Post

and cache, iirc

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lemme try and rephrase what i was lookin for......

anyone have suggestions on new ram? i need to upgrade from my 3 gb single channel to something better......

GO

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231211 <3
One thing to note, if you turn off superfetch in services along with windows search and reasyboost ideally, your ram usage will drop majorly. Superfetch caches stuff into ram so it is ready to go, which helps thing load faster on slower pc's. With pc's like ours, I prefer it to be off as it performs the same as doesn't eat all the ram up trying to cache 4/6gb after boot. Windows 7 is a lot btter than vista in how it uses superfetch as well, it will not cache ridiculous amount of ram right after boot as vista does/used to do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xecuter2
View Post

One thing to note, if you turn off superfetch in services along with windows search and reasyboost ideally, your ram usage will drop majorly. Superfetch caches stuff into ram so it is ready to go, which helps thing load faster on slower pc's. With pc's like ours, I prefer it to be off as it performs the same as doesn't eat all the ram up trying to cache 4/6gb after boot. Windows 7 is a lot btter than vista in how it uses superfetch as well, it will not cache ridiculous amount of ram right after boot as vista does/used to do.

There is no reason to turn off superfetch unless your are using an SSD (as to limit write cycles). RAM that is being used by superfetch will be freed up as soon as it is needed, like if you were to launch another program. Superfetch only makes things open faster.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by willdearborn
View Post

There is no reason to turn off superfetch unless your are using an SSD (as to limit write cycles). RAM that is being used by superfetch will be freed up as soon as it is needed, like if you were to launch another program. Superfetch only makes things open faster.

I notice 0 gain with it on, and I prefer my system to not thrash like mad for a minute or more after boot while it caches all the ram and kills my hdd's. Not good at all...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231211

those look like the winner. ill drop the multi on my cpu and overclock the fsb....think there will be a noticeable dif going from 1600 to 1800 or 2000 fsb?

edit: one more question........if i run those two sticks in the correct slots , then run two current sticks i have in the correct slots, will it all run dual channel and 6 gigs of ram?(since my current kingston is single channel)

Edit:...maybe im not understanding "dual channel"(i did some research)....its up to the motherboard not the ram, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts