Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*&p=442158&viewfull=1#post442158
Quote:
Change from IDE to AHCI Mode after Installation

Information: AHCI stand for Advance Host Controller Interface. AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as:

Hot-Plugging
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) -might improve computer/system/hard disk responsiveness, especially in multi-tasking environment

You can read more about AHCI mode HERE

Instruction: There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing.
The detailed steps from Microsoft website are as follows:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
Restart your computer
Go to BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Alternatively

Just download this Reg File and double-click to implement AHCI on your Windows-based computer.
Just remember to do the BIOS switch as well when you reboot..

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
i haven't seen one official ms link yet, i went to Microsoft's site downloaded a hot fix and switched from ide to achi no problem. All i had to do was google it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, but I read here that it is not the best/safest way to do this. The guy said to reset CMOS and do a clean install. I think this would be the best way to do this. Question: How do I reset my CMOS and what does it do? I know I have a button for this on my mobo.

·
Storage Nut
21,144 Posts
Yea, just do this and you will be good
wink.gif

Change to AHCI from IDE Mode after Installation:
  1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
  3. Now type Regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window. (If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.)
  4. Locate and then click the following registry sub key:

Code:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci
  5. In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
  8. Restart your computer
  9. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
  10. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
who ever said it needs clean install doesn't know enough about what they are talking about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
enjoy your new rig/build

·
Registered
1 Posts
I followed this guide and it worked perfectly. Just changed the register setting into the 0 instead of a 3. And directly after that I changed the IDE setting in the bios into AHCI.
Only thing that I'm curious about is my performance boost. The read is now much better, but the write is slightly worser as you can see in this image:

edit: I downloaded the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver and this is the result: Again more read and less write

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello guys. I need some help regarding an issue. Basically ive tried to
overclock a lil my computer. First i was watching a guide..so in bios i presed the load optimized defaults...unfortunately when i finished to do all the things..i fourghout that the setting is changing back from AHCI to IDE. Ofcourse i was got a BSOD.....Now is the trick

My ssd is the latest Samsung Evo 512 GB....Normaly my windows was loading in lests say less then 7 seconds....but now after i ve got that BSOD..and after i changed back to AHCI...my windows is loading like in 1 min. LOL...
Did some1 encounter the same problem before? Is anything i can do without reformating?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I once made a workaround by using the second Marvell sata controller ,plug the hd/ssd in the marvel controler , put the mobo bios in AHCI and boot from the marvel . Now there is new hardware detected and need new drivers needed , Instal the AHCI driver .Shut the sytem down and plug the hd/ssd in the ACHI controller and it will boot with ACHI or RAID. Not every motherboard has a second Sata controller
smile.gif

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Thanks @Antagonist
Thanks @tsm106

I was getting BSOD after installing my new MB, after going through many pages on Google, I finally found this solution:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320363-30-bsod-windows-logo-boot

But the link provided there on how to change IDE to AHCI in Windows was dead, searching for it brought me to this, being a member here and knowing how great and helpful this forum I chose this over many other results. This saved me a lot of headache. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts