Overclock.net banner

Switching from NVIDIA GPU to AMD GPU in Fedora 34

3508 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Paradigm Shifter
I am using a GTX1060-6GB in my current rig and a friend was kind enough to sell me his used 5600XT for an affordable price since he's gotten a 6700XT. I have been using Fedora as my daily driver OS for five years, and playing with Linux since 2001 before that. I have NEVER actually had to do this in all of that time because I always ended up with a NVIDIA GPU despite wanting to go AMD. Some weird fluke every time.

I know it can't be as easy as just plugging it in, but so far this is the only thing that I've found on the subject and it's out of date:

I'm NOT using the proprietary drivers, I am just going with MESA. Obviously I could just nuke the install and reinstall, but that seems drastic for a GPU swap.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Not 100% sure how Fedora handles this, but it should be as easy as pulling the 1060, adding the 5600XT, and then deleting your xorg.conf. This assumes that you are running xorg and not wayland.

Unless Fedora is doing some whacky things you shouldn't really even need to remove the drivers. I would remove the nvidia drivers after adding the 5600XT, but I've had systems with mixed AMD NVIDIA cards, swapped cards, and every imaginable combination.

I'm not sure how Fedora packages Mesa, but outside of a few select scenarios Mesa's vulkan is better than amdvlk (AMDs standalone vulkan implementation).

I have been on Arch for many years, so unforunately I can't say for sure if it will be as simple on Fedora as it is on Arch.

· Premium Member
20,502 Posts
I've tried my 5700XT on Ubuntu and MacOS (Catalina/Ryzentosh) and it worked.

· Registered
4,352 Posts
As others have said, if not using the proprietary drivers it should be as easy as a direct swap. If Xorg has any custom config files they may need to be removed/regenerated. Any newer kernel will have pretty good support for AMD cards now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.