Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting rid of my XFX HD4870 1GB (for sale) and I'm going to be doing SLI later on the road.

I have my current overclock on my Q9550 at 4.2GHz.

Which motherboard is best?

I want to know which board I should pick that may have:

2 or more pci-e x16 slots
RAID capable (not a must, but nice if possible)
DDR2
very good with 45nm quads, (I hope 500FSB).

I think the most i'll go is about 150-200 CAD.

Thanks in advance..

Jam3s

·
Registered
129 Posts
man...why don't you just go crossfire instead of sli....you could buy a 4890 and do crossfire X and that should chew any game and spit it at 1920x1200

also NVIDIA boards SUCK!!!

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
790i would be my first choice. There are some good 780i FTW editions floating around, but non of them are gonna OC like the P45 boards.
Not only that, but you'll have to worry about NB/SB cooling if you even wanna think about running that high of a FSB. Nvidia chipsets do run pretty warm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188040

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Dont keep the board you have now for Crossfire with 2x4890 as the x8x8 config will really hold them back.

Best bet is either a nice x48 or 790i chipset

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by almighty15 View Post
If you want 500fsb with quads id say it has to be the 790i chipset as i dont think the 780i has ever run quads at such a high FSB

Thanks for the help mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharaoh overclocker View Post
man...why don't you just go crossfire instead of sli....you could buy a 4890 and do crossfire X and that should chew any game and spit it at 1920x1200

also NVIDIA boards SUCK!!!

I've had a 680i and it was really great. It had no problem overclocking my Q6600 to 3.6 back in the day. I'm aslo looking for SLI, instead of crossfire since I'm a benchmark wh0re

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
790i would be my first choice. There are some good 780i FTW editions floating around, but non of them are gonna OC like the P45 boards.
Not only that, but you'll have to worry about NB/SB cooling if you even wanna think about running that high of a FSB. Nvidia chipsets do run pretty warm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188040
Thanks for that 790i recommendation....but I'm looking for DDR2, not DDR3. I will also look into some 780i FTW's, thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by almighty15 View Post
Dont keep the board you have now for Crossfire with 2x4890 as the x8x8 config will really hold them back.

Best bet is either a nice x48 or 790i chipset

790i it is

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora1421 View Post
Honestly My 750i Hits 515 FSB without a problem but It's a bit of luck considering my old 650i could only hit 420 FSB or so and my P35 board has no problem with 500+ either.

Intel boards generally allow higher FSB than Nvidia.
Haha, interested luck there, sora.

I would do 750i ftw in a heartbeat if I was guaranteed 500 fsb.

Rep+ for all advice guys thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have been using EVGA 750i for one and a half year and I am thinking of switching to GA-EP45-UD3L. Just a friendly warning, nForce RAID (NRAID) is absolutely suck. The RAID performance is far worse than a single disk.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zollen
View Post

I have been using EVGA 750i for one and a half year and I am thinking of switching to GA-EP45-UD3L. Just a friendly warning, nForce RAID (NRAID) is absolutely suck. The RAID performance is far worse than a single disk.

Thanks for the heads up on Nvidia onboard RAID controllers..

Hopefully with the sale of the stuff in my for sale thread, I'll have about 200 dollars CAD for a new motherboard..

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Again I'm looking for:

2 or more pci-e x16 slots (or 3
)
RAID capable (not a must, but nice if possible)
DDR2
very good with 45nm quads, (500FSB ++)

Cheers guys!

Wow I love this forum lol

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martkilu View Post
I'd say go for EVGA 750i FTW, from what I've heard it's one of the best nvidia mobos out there
Thanks for the recommendaton

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_B View Post
780iFTW is what you want, pushing high FSB though do keep in mind NB temps, they get hot.

Too bad they are discontinued

Damn
I will post a Wanted Thread and see what I get

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
780i FTW...FTW

• Rep+
Reactions: jam3s

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s View Post
Damn
I will post a Wanted Thread and see what I get

Yea thats going to be your best bet, I was upset when I saw 750iFTW and 790iFTW on Evga's website....

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
780i FTW...FTW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason_B View Post
Yea thats going to be your best bet, I was upset when I saw 750iFTW and 790iFTW on Evga's website....

Thanks guys...

I will hope for the best.. I would love to SLI and still have 4.2GHz on my Q9550

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by almighty15
View Post

Pity i have a New in the Bbox XFX 780i board here that when i do get around to selling will be going cheap cheap

ah, what a shame. I bet shipping wouldn't be much to canada, but it's the customs that will ruin me

unless you mark it as a gift

1 - 18 of 18 Posts