Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a web server running out of my dorm / home using a homeip.net DNS deal.

I signed up for web hosting with lunarpages and it's HORRIBLE ... the renewal is due in 2 days.

I want to switch to DYNDNS and run email out of my apartment for the time being.

What would be involved in getting dyndns going?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm assuming then you already have the program you're going to use for email and the knowledge of port forwarding on your router? Other than than, it's a matter or starting an account with dyn.com, moving your domain to them, and making your DNS records. Then put the updater client on one of your systems.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah not much more to it than that, unless no have no program for handling your mail.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
i use DynDNS standard paid version on my server, all i did was sign up tho it took about 1 hour to get set up by them. then configured my router DDNS settings with my DynDNS usernam, password and domain name. i choose the paid service as it allows me to use my domain name in the following format .mywebsite.com instead of .mywebsite.dyndns.com.

i also found that the service updates my IP with in 30secs max after extensive testing by renewing my IP allowing minimum downtime.
smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts