Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Powmax 400w PSU that came w/ my case that's less than a year old. I'm not sure if it's a POS or not. Any thoughts? At the moment it's powering my xp 1900+ running at 1680MHz (1.6GHz stock), Zalman cpu fan, (2) 80mm regular fans, (2) 80mm tornados, the Zalman fan controller, etc. Last night and a couple nights before that my computer just randomly turned off and rebooted. I was like "***?" Meanwhile my cpu temp hasn't gone over 40 C all winter. I remember there was a PSU calculator floating around but I forgot where. I also remember that with all my components that 400w was cutting it kinda close, i think.

Anyway, little by little I'm getting around to building a new rig. Athlon 64 939, nForce4 maybe, [email protected] gfx card, high end RAM, the lot! I already got my monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound card, & printer. I'm shopping around for the rest but I definately wanna go water cooled this time. More specifically, a danger den setup w/ dual heater core & (4) 120mm fans. So what kinda power am I gonna need? I searched and heard the Antec True 550w was an excellent choice.

So that's (4) 120mm fans (Delta maybe?)
plus both my tornados in the case
and maybe another 120mm case fan.
should the water pump run off the PSU too or just plugged into the wall?

Anyway sorry for the disorganized thread but is my present PSU failing or is it just a POS?

And any suggestions on the future rig? Thanks

LL

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would have to say that your power suppy was crapping out.

The best PS are the PC power and cooling but they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
mine does that too and it really pisses me off.....but i cant blame it because it only has 17A on the 12V Rail. lmao

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother
I would have to say that your power suppy was crapping out.

The best PS are the PC power and cooling but they are expensive.
"PC Power"? That's the brand name?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesT
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ check it there
There it is, thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
i noticed alot of amd users have some doodoo PSUs, like yiffy seems to need a new one,
" No im not picking on you Yiffy just stating the ones i know for fact have Doodoo powering there PCs"

Anyways Lando has a few Aspire PSUs and they seem to be the best of the lot, out of the cheaper end market PSUs,
or let me know if you want instructions on how to run a psu with no motherboard cause i know how to make it happen

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic
"PC Power"? That's the brand name?

There it is, thanks!
The brand name is "PC Power and Cooling" they are just about the best out there. Enermax and Antec are good but not quite at their level.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I thought I said that ealier. They are the best and you can expect to pay for the best. This is a rule of life. You want the best it ant going to be cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts