Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine someone who installs the cpu cooler without applying the thermal paste. What could be the results ? Any ideas ?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It depends on the TDP of the processor, and if the processor has a heatspreader or not. Basically, you just have very poor thermal transfer between the CPU and heatsink.

For the short term, on the average processor, you can make due, but it is generally not a good idea, unless the processors are older, and lower TDP (Pentium III and lower).

• Rep+
Reactions: Prong

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I will confess to forgetting to TIMify a celeron 1.8 many moons ago (I was in a rush), and only realised when I was doing a bit of cleaning inside 6 months later.

I had it clocked to 2.2 all that time aswell
I did wonder why the PSU was pushing out air that was almost a magma but I assumed it was because it was a ****ty Bestec.

But hey, I still got that chip on a shelf collecting dust, and as far as I know, its still very much alive.

·
Registered
695 Posts
easiest way is if temps are out of line with what others report with a similar cooler clock and vcore.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friend of mine did not install his hardware himself and had someone else do the job for him and now he suspects if they applied the thermal paste or not before they installed the cpu cooler. He has no reason to suspect if you ask me because his idle temps are around 25 - 27 - 29 - 34 and when underload by Prime95 55'ish. I am thinking that he is being paranoid because even his idle temps would hit 40C's maybe in absence of thermal paste. Also would like to have you guys ideas too... He has the very same cpu cooler with me Thermaltake Duorb on Q9550.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
CPU will want to idle at 70-90C. AMD chips will shut off at random, some may not boot at all, others might make it into windows. Intel chips will throttle back, instead, allowing you to take temp readings well into the triple digits.

I don't know if Intels will shut off once they run out of throttling room or not...AMD's skip throttling altogether and just flat shut off if they pass a certain threshold.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies all...Keep'em coming. +rep to everyone who takes time to tell his/her idea/experiences on this topic.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
My problem has never been too little, but rather too much. On this current system I put on so much that when I placed the heatsink on the CPU the paste cover the entire 775 bracket cover.

Curious though, both too much and too little result in high temps right?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
If the IHS is relatively flat, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prong View Post
Friend of mine did not install his hardware himself and had someone else do the job for him and now he suspects if they applied the thermal paste or not before they installed the cpu cooler. He has no reason to suspect if you ask me because his idle temps are around 25 - 27 - 29 - 34 and when underload by Prime95 55'ish. I am thinking that he is being paranoid because even his idle temps would hit 40C's maybe in absence of thermal paste. Also would like to have you guys ideas too... He has the very same cpu cooler with me Thermaltake Duorb on Q9550.
those temps are pretty low for a 9550, hes definatly got paste on there, or a perfectly flat CPU and heatsink [which is pretty much impossible] so im gonna say hes got paste.

OR, he lives in a stupidly cold climate and the ambient air is able to dissipate the heat, but to is highly unlikely. so long story short hes got paste, in my oppinion

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda View Post
those temps are pretty low for a 9550, hes definatly got paste on there, or a perfectly flat CPU and heatsink [which is pretty much impossible] so im gonna say hes got paste.

OR, he lives in a stupidly cold climate and the ambient air is able to dissipate the heat, but to is highly unlikely. so long story short hes got paste, in my oppinion
My Q9400 also idles at nearly same temps with my friends Q9550. Maybe because we both have thermaltake duorb, exactly the same cpu cooler. My temps are 27 - 28 - 29 - 34 ( this one is stuck I believe because it never goes lower than 34C ) idle. Under %100 load @ 3.4Ghz my Q9400 also have temps between 55 - 60C. 60C's are with IBT actually. With Prime95 generally never goes above 55C.

Not a cold climate out here at all. Ambient temp is around 20 - 23C.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Tried that once... lol actually CPU worked for a year with no thermal paste on it but at stock speeds. E6600 was hitting 120*celsius on core 0 when I ran orthos
Now that same cpu still works with WC @ 3.4ghz

Forgot to mention.. MOBO was set to C1E so it didint really work @ 2.4ghz all the time

·
underest
459 Posts
On an old Dell Celeron 1.8GHz chip, it came with a Santek HSF which just had a small thermal pad (more like aluminum foil) between the processor and heatsink. When I removed the heatsink, that pad broke apart. I put it back together without compound or a pad and it ran with no problems.

I'm not sure what the temps were before, but under Prime95, I couldn't get it above 55°C

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post
Curious though, both too much and too little result in high temps right?
Yep, too much is bad and will result in higher temps. Paste doesn't conduct heat as well as the metal surfaces of the cpu and hsf, but of course conducts much better than air that would be filling any iregularities and all the tiny poures of the surfaces, so bottom line, you want just enough paste to fill in all the air gaps, but not so much that it holds the hsf up off the cpu. Now if the paste is thin enough or the pressure high enough I guess any excess would squish out, but I don't think you can count on that. also, be very careful with letting the paste squish out, as some paste is electrically conductive and can cause a short on your board. Use a non-conductive ceramic based paste if you are sloppy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts