Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so scared.. and still am. Here's what happened:
I wanted to go online with my ADSL modem and when I tried to insert the USB cable on the front port of my case the pc just shut itself down and now it doesn't turn on!!! I also noticed the led light my asus mobo has is now in a dimmer color. Could it be the PSU or did I fry something more important?!!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Very odd.

Unless you smell something burnt, your PSU is most likely ok.

Unplug the computer from the wall, and let it sit for a little bit.

Plug it back in, and start it up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing smelt burnt. the cpu was folding (2 instances) at 52ºC (OCed @ 3.7).. I'll try that

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
if u built your comp yourself, then wierd. but if u built it yourself, then mayb u pluged in the usb header in backwards. if thats the first time u have used that port, then thats what happened. if its been used bfore...i dunno, mayb an overload lol. if it was pluged backwards.....your mobos probly fried

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
And reset your cmos!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still no workie :'(

EDIT: I did reset cmos before doing anything and still it doesn't work. I wanna add something: Before I plugged in the modem, the small piece of metal separating the 2 front USB ports was loose, so I might have pushed it aside and like, plugged it in in a very strange position

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

still no workie :'(

Not a good sign. You probably had the usb headers hooked up wrong, but to do that is pretty strange. It does indeed sound like you fried something, I just don't know what. Time to start eliminating components one by one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
read up, I added some details.
How can I start eliminating components? I mean, I can always try my cpu in another mobo (which I don't have now) and I can try my ram in another mobo too. Would the mobo LED light up if it was fried?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Would the mobo LED light up if it was fried?

It might. There are so many circuits, that it's possible to be receiving full power and still not work. You pretty much need another mobo to do some testing. Sorry about that Jack, that sucks man.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it does, my main concerns now were saving money for a new PSU and maybe a new mobo but that would only be later. I guess the time for the IC7-Max3 has come... sooner than expected...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

I guess the time for the IC7-Max3 has come... sooner than expected...

Oh yeah? How much you willing to pay? I might consider selling mine, unless you want a new one, then good luck cuz they are hard to find.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll buy yours, you name the price

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:

I'll buy yours, you name the price

Hummm, did you try unplugging the USB ports from the motherboard? (just a stab in the dark, but you never know)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

Hummm, did you try unplugging the USB ports from the motherboard? (just a stab in the dark, but you never know)

Yea, that was the 2nd thing I did after clearing CMOS

·
Registered
698 Posts
really odd. It does sound like you fried your motherboard then. That stinks like 3 day old baby monkey poo dude

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
especially when the mobo is about 2 months old
actually the whole system is 2 months old except for the HDDs

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure, that's what I'll do (but the deal's still up Lando
)