Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been working on a build for an NZXT Vulcan and I'm encountering a small and interesting issue. Here's a link to the system (it's not my sig rig).

Usually pretty quickly after I start a Prime95 blend I'll get a hard freeze where all I can do is restart. No BSOD and the computer does not shut off. Screen freezes and there's no response.

So, here's what I've done so far in an attempt to solve this issue:

RAM:

I manually set timings set to their default spec as well as the voltage. [9-9-9-27-1 @ 1.65v]

I ran memtest86+ over night. Got through 8 passes with 0 errors. I have two sticks and did not run the test on each stick separately. I might go ahead and do that.

I ran HCI MemTest for over an hour until all of my ram was 100% tested with 0 errors.

This RAM was purchased new.

CPU/Mobo:

I'm running my 2500K at auto (stock) settings (except for my ram).

I tried enabling LLC (this mobo only has enable/disable settings) to no avail.

Both the CPU and Mobo were purchased new.

PSU:

Haven't done anything to test the PSU, however I had been using this PSU in my sig rig for over a month and had no problems with it.

GPU:

I tried removing one of the cards and was still able to lock up during blend.

Both of these GPUs came over to this rig from my sig rig along with the PSU. They had been running flawlessly for over a month.

HDD:

This hard drive is a few years old. HD Tune returned no errors and once a freeze happens there is no HDD activity.

I've read that a bad HDD could cause system lockups.

I have yet to try reinstalling windows.

Final Thoughts:

So, aside from that, I have still been able to replicate these lockups blending. However, on two or three occasions I've run the blend for over 2 hours with no lockup. One time it made it to over 5 hours. On these occasions, I simply stopped the blend having assumed that whatever changes I had made were successful. I would then restart the computer and run the blend again, just to double check, and I would get another lock up.

I have not had a lockup happen during gaming or normal use... yet.

I've looked into the issue and so far I haven't really found a solution. Does anyone else have any ideas on what could happening here? Is it more likely that my board or CPU are defective? Could these components just not be compatible? It's interesting because I'm using the same RAM and CPU as in my sig rig, but instead of an Asus P8P67-M Pro, it's an Asus P8P67 Pro, so I'm not really expecting this to be a compatibility issue.

Thanks beforehand for any help here. It's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
if your computer is locking up without a BSOD, it might be heat, whether the ram or the cpu is getting hot is unknown but try running it with the side case off or reseat the cooler.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristo;13078253
what cooler are you using ? if your cpu is cool then id be looking at ram testing to check for errors .. A cpu on stock freq should do fine in blend testing .

Im taking a wild guess and saying your ram is broke , nothing else should cause that ..
Yeah. I'm currently using an H70. It keeps my CPU quite cool. I hit ~55 C max during blend.

I definitely considered the ram as well. I ran memtest86+ overnight, going through 8 passes with 0 errors. However, I did this with both sticks of ram at the same time instead of individually. So, I'm considering doing each stick individually.

In addition, I did HCI MemTest on both sticks at the same time and got no errors from that either.

I'm definitely feeling stumped right now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666;13078304
Hard lock and freezing is usually indicative of lack of volts to the NB or refs... but your at stock...
headscratch.gif

you could try and up those a tad and see how it goes...
Please pardon my ignorance, but what would those values be called in the Asus bios by chance?
tongue.gif

·
Banned
8,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbits;13078356
Please pardon my ignorance, but what would those values be called in the Asus bios by chance?
tongue.gif
THAT is a very good question. Ive d/led the manual for your board but i cant seem to find anything relating to North bridge or voltage referrences.

Anyone else with a Asus bios able to help??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666;13078683
THAT is a very good question. Ive d/led the manual for your board but i cant seem to find anything relating to North bridge or voltage referrences.

Anyone else with a Asus bios able to help??
I am currently in the process of testing a .1v bump in VCCIO voltage [from 1.050v to 1.150v]. Perhaps that could help. Thank you very much for your input btw.

·
Banned
8,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbits;13078710
I am currently in the process of testing a .1v bump in VCCIO voltage [from 1.050v to 1.150v]. Perhaps that could help. Thank you very much for your input btw.
I did manage to find this.... hope its helpful
smile.gif

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, as a little update, after I raised the VCCIO voltage by .1v, I was able to run Prime95 blend for two hours. After the two hours, I manually stopped the blend, ran 5 passes of IBT, then blended for another 20 minutes.

I then shut the comp down and transported it back to my home (brought it to a friends house to work on it while we hung out). Once I got it back home, I ran a blend for an entire hour and then I had a lock up.

I thought I was making some progress with this VCCIO voltage, but it seems not. Are any of these symptoms indicative of something? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got another update here. So, last night, after I had posted that I got another lockup, I fiddled with some voltages and settings in the BIOS.

I made three changes at the same time:

Raised VCCIO from 1.15v to 1.2v.

Raised PCH from 1.05v to 1.15v. (Not sure if this is safe or not.)

Applied Asus X.M.P. Profile #1. (I had read elsewhere that this had helped someone else.)

I then went into windows and started up another prime blend. I left the blend on and went right to sleep. I had thought that the blend would of course end in a lock up, but when I woke up this morning, it was still running. I let it run a little bit longer and decided to stop it slightly past the nine hour mark.

I figured by some fluke the system hadn't locked up and that I could get a lock up from restarting and running another blend. So, I restarted, started another blend, went out to do some work, and came back five hours later. The blend was still going.

So, at this point, it seems that my system is stable. I will continue to test it by letting it idle for many hours as well as leaving Crysis playing for several hours as well. If it gets through these tests and a couple of weeks of usage, I would then conclude that it's stable.

Thanks everyone for the input and please feel free to leave feedback regarding these changes and if they're safe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666;13089067
Good to hear!

Im not in a position to say whether your voltages are safe or not, as Im not familiar with SB limits or the newer mobos.

I guess once I move from my 755 comfort zone to SB, Ill be asking you for help
cheers.gif
Haha, seems like my Crysis test was able to lock my computer up.
tongue.gif
I have contacted the eBay seller that I had purchased my board from and I'll be attempting a return over the next few days. If and when I receive my new board, I'll post back if there has been any progress made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbits;13089803
Haha, seems like my Crysis test was able to lock my computer up.
tongue.gif
I have contacted the eBay seller that I had purchased my board from and I'll be attempting a return over the next few days. If and when I receive my new board, I'll post back if there has been any progress made.
cinnamonbits can you please let me know if getting a new motherboard worked for you? I am experiencing the same issues with my rig, but I don't know which piece of hardware is faulty. I pray it is the MB, because I have OC'ed my 2500k and is not under warranty any longer, but the MB is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.