Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a new build today (sig rig, with a HD 5870)

I'm installing everything after formating but I keep getting these kind of hiccups every few minutes, which is driving me insane, the computer works fine, it just stops responding for a fraction of a second, I don't know if it's the SSD or something else, everything bar the CPU and motherboard were working fine this morning.

I followed the SSD optimization guide in the SSD forum, I don't know if anything in there could be the culpirt of these hiccups or it's something completely different, I have no Idea of what i'm dealing with, never had this happen before :/

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
This actually happened to me as well on my Primary System before RMA'ing my bad RAM. When I would install something, halfway through the installation, my system would "freeze" and any audio with it would freeze too. It was almost as if I was about to BSOD, but it only froze for a split second. It also made anybody I was in Skype with sound like transformers.

With that being said, I'd keep an eye on your RAM. Who knows.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ditto, forgot to set the RAM timmings and voltage to its rated ones, I was running them undervolted and at loose timmings

This seems to have solved the hiccups issue though, there may still be something wrong /maybe i´m just paranoid) but sometimes the OS does something like as if I was doing some lenghty search in a slow HDD, with the progress bar and the like in folder windows while it being blank, this has happened twice...

I´ll keep installing things and getting everything up and running and see if it does this again

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
It might just also be because it's a fresh install and there's much things to still cache and what not, if that makes sense. Keep me updated with how it's running after a few installs and such.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was that most likely as it hasn´t done it for some hours now, if there was something wrong it would be still doing it, thanks for your help, highly appreciated!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looks like it's not entirely gone

Something's up with the SSD/Windows installation

It does this caching-like thing every time after 2 minutes I boot up, the HDD LED on my case lights up, Windows/everything on the SSD stops responding for 2-5 minutes, but programs running on the HDD are unaffected and work like normal

I'm at loss, any ideas of what can be causing this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still does it, every single time I boot up, after a few minutes, sometimes for 1-2 minutes, other 5+

I followed the Windows optimization guide in the SSD's forum sticky, I don't know if it has anything to so with this, or I messed up somewhere that's causing this

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Do you have superfetch disabled ?

Also after installing windows + programs + loads of update's the drive has had lots of read and write's

Let it stay idle for some time so it can do its garbage collection thing.
Make sure the drive doesnt go into some power off state during that time.
See power options in your controll panel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

Do you have superfetch disabled ?
It is

As for it being a fresh install, it's been a almost a week already, and since I'm trying to OC I have to reboot several times and it's getting unbearable, it does it every single time I start up, and only when booting windows, I may have the computer on for the rest of the day and it will not do it, only when rebooting/starting up

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Dit you maybe put some service's from automatic to automatic delayed or the other way around ?
Have a look at your service's

Also go into MSconfig and see if your booting some unwanted stuff there to, you can also try disabling all and see if it goes away and then put them on again 1 by 1 to see what give's the problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

Dit you maybe put some service's from automatic to automatic delayed or the other way around ?
Have a look at your service's[quote
I didn't touch any services, other than Superfetch

Quote:
Also go into MSconfig and see if your booting some unwanted stuff there to, you can also try disabling all and see if it goes away and then put them on again 1 by 1 to see what give's the problem.
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong in the list, only the usual stuff, though I may have to try... it's gonna take a while

1 - 12 of 12 Posts